Studio Projects B3 vs C1

0-T

They have the exact same frequency response (20~20000Hz.), output impedance ( <200 Ohm. ), load impedance ( >1000 Ohm. ), and current consumption ( <2.5mA). The C1 comes with a shock mount, and the B3 can switch from omni to cardioid, and figure 8. I would think that'd make the B3 better, but it's valued at 100 dollars less.

I copy/pasted some of the specs that are slightly different... does anyone know what the differences mean exactly (like the 10db Pad vs -10db Pad, or the Maximum SPL)?

B3

Features

• Pressure-Gradient Transducer, Dual 1" 3 um mylar capsule
• Selectable patterns (omni, cardioid, figure eight)
• High Pass Filter
• 10db Pad

Included Accessories

• Zippered Bag
• Mic Clip
• Foam Filter

B3 Specifications

Type: 1 inch large dual diaphragm 3 micron FET condenser microphone
Polar pattern: cardioid/ Omni-directional/figure 8.
Sensitivity: 14/16/18mV/Pa(Omni./Cardioid/Figure 8)(-37/-36/-35dB @1000Hz)
Maximum SPL: 132/142dB SPL for 1% THD @1000Hz(0dB/-10dB pad, 0dB SPL=0.00002Pa).
Noise Level: 14dB-A (Cardioid).
S/N: 76 dB.
Circuit: transformerless circuit, featuring extremely low self noise and large dynamic range.
Pad: 10dB
Low cut : 6dB/Octave at 150 Hz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

C1

Features

• Pressure-Gradient Transducer: 1.06" (27mm) 6um mylar diaphragm
• High Pass Filter
• -10db Pad

Included Accessories

• Shock mounted elastic suspension
• Foam wind screen
• Case

C1 Specifications

Type: Pressure gradient solid state condenser microphone
Polar pattern: Cardioid.
Sensitivity: 14mV/Pa=-37dB(0dB=1V/Pa).
Maximum SPL: 142dB SPL for 1% THD @1000Hz(0dB SPL=0.00002Pa).
Noise: (Line): 27dB (A weighted)---17dB.
S/N: 77dB.
Circuit: Discrete FET balanced symmetrical output.

SPL refers to a mic's ability to record loud sounds without distorting.

THD is distortion produced by the device at frequencies harmonic to the input frequency.

S/N ratio is the difference between the noise floor and the nominal operating level.

10db pads decrease the gain applied to the incoming signal by the internal preamp, thus increasing the SPL handling capability of the mic for micing loud sources.

If you use the search function, you will find these two mics have been discussed at length--how they sound, the internal electronics, what they sound good on, etc. These discusions will give you a better idea of how the mics sound than comparing specs will.

thx... I did run a search first and I found a thread with practically the same title. When I read it, someone brought up another mic in the first few posts, and it changed the whole direction of the thread. I'll check out a few more threads tho...

0-T said:
thx... I did run a search first and I found a thread with practically the same title. When I read it, someone brought up another mic in the first few posts, and it changed the whole direction of the thread. I'll check out a few more threads tho...

I own both the SP-B3 and SP-C1 and I like them both. They sound different, I'm not sure how to explain it but the C1 IMO has a more defined sound than the B3 but the B3 sounds good too and the selectable pattern switch on the B3 is a real plus.

If I needed a vocal mic with only a cardioid pattern I'd get the C1, and if i needed a selectable pattern vocal mic (like for a group of singers around one mic) I'd get the B3 or C3. (buy the C1, its a killer solo vocal mic).

Speeddemon said:
I have ordered both a C1 and a B3, they should be here in 2 weeks or so. I am the first dutch customer that Jake (www.humbuckermusic.com) had. :) Oh, and I'm probably amongst the select few in Holland that own SP mics.

What will it cost you in total with shipping and tax included? Most likely a lot cheaper than ordering them directly from the dutch distributor (thieves)...

Speeddemon said:
I have ordered both a C1 and a B3, they should be here in 2 weeks or so. I am the first dutch customer that Jake (www.humbuckermusic.com) had. :) Oh, and I'm probably amongst the select few in Holland that own SP mics.

Let me know what you think of them after you'd had a chance to use them and stuff. Let me know what your friends in Holland say about the mic's too. IMO, they're both nice well made mic's

christiaan said:
What will it cost you in total with shipping and tax included? Most likely a lot cheaper than ordering them directly from the dutch distributor (thieves)...
I ordered them via my american bassplayer. He went to kansas city, I told him to contact Humbucker Jake and order the 2 mics (plus an RNC for me). So totall cost will be around $535. If I'd get that stuff in Holland, I would have to spend around $900-950!!!

So try to get it through some US-relative or friend. Jake sends the stuff throughout whole the US with free-shipping, but he can send stuff to Europe as well. I know only 1 place in The Netherlands, that sells SP stuff, and they charge waaaayyyyyy too much. www.helios.nl $400 for a C1!!! :eek: :mad: and $275 for a B3!!! NO WAY!

I got some contacts in the US so that's not the problem.
But how will you get the gear to The Netherlands? The bass player will just bring it back in his luggage? "Forgetting" do declare it when going through customs? ;)
And yeah, I was thinking about helios.nl too when I said thieves.

Back