Studio Projects B1

Dweezil

I've already read some good reviews of this supposedly all purpose "budget" mike, and am about to buy one. I intend to use it with a Mackie dfx6 mixer and Echo Mia soundcard for home recording via computer ,to get some pleasant sounds on acoustic guitar and vocals mainly.
I almost bought a Shure Sm57 as my only mike for all round general recording and was told to buy a condensor mike. Yep, we're talking novice here folks!
If anybody can see any technical or recording catastrophies looming on the horizon as a result of this plan to purchase a B1, I would appreciate advice before I part with my extemely hard earned cash!

I've read the FAQ about mikes and this seems the way to go?

Many thanks,

Dweezil

I for one think you're making the right choice. Especially on the sources you've mentioned.

For the price, anyway. :)

Welcome Dweezil,
If you scan down on this very page, you will find a half dozen threads concerning this vey mic and all of your questions and a lot that you may not have thought about will be answered.

The concensus is that they are the best bang for the buck.

Dweezil said:
I almost bought a Shure Sm57 as my only mike for all round general recording and was told to buy a condensor mike. Yep, we're talking novice here folks!
The SM57 is THE allround all-purpose mic on the market and never a catastrophic choice. Don't take my word for it but the people with decades of experience in the business will tell you that too.
But I'm sure you'll be happy with the B1.

do yourself a favor

put aside $280. spend that on a set of MXL603s ($150 for a matched pair), a new B1 ($80) and a used SM57 ($50). That's $280. Spend your remaining cash on stands and cables.

Between those four mics, you'll have a more than adequate "beginning rig" for recording your acoustic and vocals.

for the price, the 603's are pretty much unmatched on acoustic. the B1 is also quite good on acoustic (but the 603's tend to be quite a bit more pleasing to my ears), so if you had to limit yourself to only one mic, I'd go with the B1 (as it is far better on vocals than the 603s). However, the combo of the 603s and the B1 make a hell of an entry-level package.

you can sift through the threads below, but I bet you'll come to the same conclusion. still sift through them--there's lots of good knowledge around here.

to be honest, you don't really even *need* the sm57, but it's such a jack of all trades that you'll find yourself using it regardless.

wade

Dweezil,

The B1 IS the best bang for buck mic you will get in this part of the world.

If you haven't done so already, contact Nigel at Oceania in NZ, he is a nice guy (I've spoken to him on the phone once or twice) and I think they are doing the B1 for approx., $195NZ, which is about as good as you can get.

:cool:

Many thanks for your really helpful comments. At this stage it sounds like the B1 will do nicely, and I might add some more later, once I get everything up and twitching.
Happy recording!

Dweezil

Dweezil

Don't hesitate to get the B1, it will outperform the SM57 in most occasions.

Your next step will be a 2nd B1 I suppose, so you can make wonderful sounding stereo recordings.

If you ever plan to buy a dynamic, go for the Sennheiser MD421 or MD441. These babies sound a lot better than the 57.

Oh and Dweezil, I looked at the Mackie site for the DFX6 but I have my doubts whether this little board has phantom power or not.

You need phantom for most condenser mics.

Check your board for a switch that says "48v". That's the phantom power switch, and you have to have it, or a separate phantom power supply, to use a condenser (capacitor) mic.-Richie

Back