Studio Projects B1 vs C1

Andrew, this may not help but for what it is worth, I purchased the b3,which is like the b1 with switchable omni pattern and bass rolloff. I did not like the sound of my voice while monitoring with headphones while singing. I try to close mike to minimize ambient noises and the proximity effect was too wooly. I needed to eq to get a usable sound. i traded up to the c1 and get a good sound with no eq at all. I only kept the b3 for three days and only tried it on my own voice. For me, the upgrade was worth the difference,because the way I hear myself affects the performance. I actually liked the mike clip on the b-series,very clever once you get used to it. I also thought that the recorded sound was very nice when tweeked with eq,so I think the b-series is well worth the money, but then the c-series is only a little more so for me it was the way to go. I was lucky to purchase from a dealer that allowed the exchange and that is by far the best way to find what works best for you. Good luck
Bill

I have a B1, and I basically see it as an instrument microphone. You can use it for vocals, too, but it sounds less flattering than most other LD condensers. It's a good mic for loud vocals or overly bright voices.
I don't have a C1, but from what I've heard (soundclips, statements by users) it is primarily a vocal mic that you can use for other purposes as well. To give you an idea of the sound difference: The SP B1 is a poor man's AKG 414, the C1 is a poor man's Neumann U87.

This "poor man's" stuff kind of eludes me. (I'm not picking on Rossi - I know he didn't start it. Just commenting in general.)

Is it really very useful to argue whether a Hyundai is a poor man's Mercedes as opposed to a poor man's Corvette? Unless it's just to make us "poor" Hyundai owners feel a little better! :p

You will get lots of different comments about this on HR. Don't try to read into them much. Get one yourself and you be the judge. The NTK is a good mic, but it is a tube like our TB1 or T3, and should not even be mentioned as a comparison to the B1 or C1. Perhaps the NT1, or NT2, or even the NT1000, but even then you need to listen to them for yourself to make a decision.

The C1 and B1 are different. They do compliment each other because of the difference, but which one will sound good to you will have to be decided by you.

Thanks Alan,

I've only been around for a short time but are already use to the banter here. I get a kick out of it actually.

Always good advice to try things for oneself. Maybe I can re-ask this to you personally.

How would you characterize each from your own personal point of view? As I wrote, I am mainly interested in this for acoustic guitar and my own vocals. I was very unhappy with my Rode NT1 with my own voice and acoustic, and I want to step up.

I've just built my own home studio and are looking to get some nicer mics. I've sold the NT1 and just gotten an AT 4033 which I like very much, and are very interested in one of these two other mics but can't find them locally to demo them.
Best Regards,
Andrew

Last edited:
Well the 4033 is a good mic for acoustic instruments in my opinion, but I do not like them for vocals. They are a bit nasal sounding to me, yet on some singers, they will do the job.

The C1 or C3 will compliment the 4033 because of the difference in sound. The C1 is a bit more picky for proximity on acoustics, but worth the time to find the proper placement. On vocals I think the C1 or C3 will really make you happy. The advantage of the C3 is you could have more flexibility with the patterns for more choices in your recording techniques, and you can do M/S using both the C3 and the 4033.

I think you will find that the C1 or C3 will outperform the NT1 by a longshot. The NT1 was not one of RODE's better mics, so that is my opinions, but I am sure you will get others.

Alan -
Well you (and the other rave reviews I've read around) have got me sold, for now on the C1.

I notice that some people are selling these on eBay for a SWEET price. Some claim to be "authorized SP dealers". Can I trust them? If you say I can, I'll order one right away....

Looking forward to posting my feedback and my actual audio results here when I get the mic and have done some recording.
Thanks for taking the time to correspond with me, I REALLY appreciate it and would like to stay in touch.

Regards,
Andrew

Wow, I did not think I was selling one. I thought I was addressing your question.

I don't look at who sells on E-Bay. I prefer the normal dealer channel but there are so many to mention here. Go with a dealer you have done business with before if possible. If you had good service from one, use them again.

If not, go to our web site and at the top of the page, click on USA Dealers.

Good Luck!

Hi -

I didn't think you were selling me one either, just helping me make up my mind, which was already very close.

Thanks again for your comments and I'll keep you posted.

Back