Studio Projects 828 preamp thing?

4-Man Takedown said:
Is this ever going to come out?

Yes, it has been shipping for about five or six weeks now. If you need assistance in locating one, e-mail me at alan@pmiaudio.com

The photo at some of the dealers on the SP828 is not what the unit actually looks like. We did not use any colored knobs. They are all silver and black.

Hey Alan.

Isn't it time to throw in the towel on the VTB-2? :rolleyes:

How many years has that thing been in development now? :eek:

Reactions: NL5
Mark7 said:
Hey Alan.

Isn't it time to throw in the towel on the VTB-2? :rolleyes:

How many years has that thing been in development now? :eek:

Never :o

It took us two years to get the SP828 out. Its now out and is a very good product with brisk sales for such a new release.

The VTB2 will be released. It too has been a two year undertaking. The problem is us. We are a small company trying to plan and do more than we should. We get ideas on products and realize we can not get them out in time, but we do not give up.

Yes, it will cost us sales, but in the end, those sales will come back based on the products value and quality. It will still be the only product like it with the feature set it will offer.

We are sorry it has taken so long and the blame can only be placed on us...well also the designer of the unit, but it will get done.. :(

alanhyatt said:
Never :o

It took us two years to get the SP828 out. Its now out and is a very good product with brisk sales for such a new release.

The VTB2 will be released. It too has been a two year undertaking. The problem is us. We are a small company trying to plan and do more than we should. We get ideas on products and realize we can not get them out in time, but we do not give up.

Yes, it will cost us sales, but in the end, those sales will come back based on the products value and quality. It will still be the only product like it with the feature set it will offer.

We are sorry it has taken so long and the blame can only be placed on us...well also the designer of the unit, but it will get done.. :(

Alan,

What kind of features will the VTB2 have?

Terry

Reactions: NL5
tkingen said:
Alan,

What kind of features will the VTB2 have?

Terry

Terry,

I need to keep some of those quiet, but it will be a real 300V Tube Mic amp design. Balanced transformer in and balanced transformer out. It will have adjustable plate voltage so you can regulate the voltage to change the distortion properties for more, or less coloration if you will.

All the features you expect will be on it, 48V, Phase Reverse, Low Pass Filters, Hi Pass Filters, but there is much more that I do not want to discuss yet as these have come with the long lead time in finishing this project. So while it has been bad in not getting it out, it has been good in what we have been able to do to enhance the unit over this long time period.

We hope NAMM is the planned release.

Alan

alanhyatt said:
Terry,

I need to keep some of those quiet, but it will be a real 300V Tube Mic amp design. Balanced transformer in and balanced transformer out. It will have adjustable plate voltage so you can regulate the voltage to change the distortion properties for more, or less coloration if you will.

All the features you expect will be on it, 48V, Phase Reverse, Low Pass Filters, Hi Pass Filters, but there is much more that I do not want to discuss yet as these have come with the long lead time in finishing this project. So while it has been bad in not getting it out, it has been good in what we have been able to do to enhance the unit over this long time period.

We hope NAMM is the planned release.

Alan

Looking forward to it!

Any idea about the price on the VTB2? Is it going to be a two channel unit? half rack?

Any new mics in development from SP?

Loads - the CS series has been 'almost ready' for a while now. They look to have some cool features provided by rotating thumbwheels on the mic body. No idea how they sound yet but they're going to have a more striking look as well (think M-Audio Solaris in two-tone).

earthboundrec said:
Any idea about the price on the VTB2? Is it going to be a two channel unit? half rack?

Any new mics in development from SP?

Noisedude has answered some of these questions with regards to the CS1 and CS5, but there is more that we are working on. Most of these models will go upscale in quality and price. We have done the low cost thing for the last 6 years and do not need to add to what we have in that arena.

There are two new E-Series Microphones that have been designed, but do not look for those until end of 1st quarter in 2006. We are also now going to revamp the old Joemeek models. Specifically the JM47 and JM27. The JM37 and JM37-DP are new models and we are very happy with them. There will be a new TB47 (Tube) mic coming in January, and a new custom designed Joemeek mic is coming in 60 days. It is the replacement for the old JM47. A completely new design from us in the same body. The mic is quite nice, and we will tackle the JM27 next year.

The VTB2 is targeted at $799.99 list. It may go to $999.00 list but we will not know until we decide which transformers we will use. The VTB2 uses 2 input and 2 output transformers. Transformers are expensive!

I hope this helps in keeping you informed of what we are doing.

Ya, thanks for the info Alan. Do you think that SP is going to have any problems marketing the higher end gear? Just coming on to the scene as a high value manufacture it seems that it may be difficult to promote a boutique mic to the folks that are in the market for $1k + mics. To me it'd be like MXL coming out with a mic in the $1k range. NOT to compare SP to MXL, just that it's a lot of same market niche that's buying both brands (like me for example). Say if MXL came out with a $1k mic the professional folks would likely scoff at the idea of MXL producing something at that price that would be worth it, and their niche market of low budget home reccers would probably just not to be able to afford it. Just my thoughts... I can't wait for the new line up though... Any prices in mind for the new mics? Thanks, Take care.

earthboundrec said:
Ya, thanks for the info Alan. Do you think that SP is going to have any problems marketing the higher end gear? Just coming on to the scene as a high value manufacture it seems that it may be difficult to promote a boutique mic to the folks that are in the market for $1k + mics. To me it'd be like MXL coming out with a mic in the $1k range. NOT to compare SP to MXL, just that it's a lot of same market niche that's buying both brands (like me for example). Say if MXL came out with a $1k mic the professional folks would likely scoff at the idea of MXL producing something at that price that would be worth it, and their niche market of low budget home reccers would probably just not to be able to afford it. Just my thoughts... I can't wait for the new line up though... Any prices in mind for the new mics? Thanks, Take care.

This is hard to say, but I do not think so. Our association with VAC Rack, and Stephen Paul are very high end products and so we have that working experience with developing high end goods now. I think once the products are out and they are used, that will be the judgement day.

I am not worried about it. I think it is widely known when we entered the market, we brought more quality to the low end. Perhaps this is our opinion, but we think we did that. Building products to a different level is not an problem.

No one has ever complained about our build quality. Like everything, some like our products and some dont, but you can say that about any product.

So, time will tell..... :)

earthboundrec said:
Do you think that SP is going to have any problems marketing the higher end gear? Just coming on to the scene as a high value manufacture it seems that it may be difficult to promote a boutique mic to the folks that are in the market for $1k + mics. To me it'd be like MXL coming out with a mic in the $1k range. NOT to compare SP to MXL, just that it's a lot of same market niche that's buying both brands (like me for example). Say if MXL came out with a $1k mic the professional folks would likely scoff at the idea of MXL producing something at that price that would be worth it, and their niche market of low budget home reccers would probably just not to be able to afford it.

In my opinion, a good product is a good product. (Yes, deep thoughts like that are why I make the big bucks.) If Studio Projects puts out a good product at a fair price, buyers will come in time, regarless of the name on the package. Conversely, if the product stinks, buyers will stay away. Perhaps that's a naive way of looking at things, but it seems logical to me; there are so many reviews and so much message board chatter about every new product that the cream can't help but rise to the top and the turds sink to the bottom.

- Jerfo

Last edited:
jerfo said:
Conversely, if the product stinks, buyers will stay away. [...] turds sink to the bottom.

I apologize for writing something off-topic. Unfortunately, I can't address this with the individual in question because I don't know who he or she is. Someone gave me the following negative rep for my last post:

"Is your sole purpose in life to suck up to gear manufacturers?"

I'm sorry, but which part of "the product stinks" and "turds sink to the bottom" was sucking up to anybody? Or, were you referring to another post when I called the EHX tube preamp "quirky," with a scratchy gain pot and electrical hum? Is that sucking up, or is it presenting unbiased feedback based upon personal experience?

Is it your sole purpose in life to anonymously give people unwarranted negative rep?

- Jerfo

jerfo said:
I apologize for writing something off-topic. Unfortunately, I can't address this with the individual in question because I don't know who he or she is. Someone gave me the following negative rep for my last post:

"Is your sole purpose in life to suck up to gear manufacturers?"

I'm sorry, but which part of "the product stinks" and "turds sink to the bottom" was sucking up to anybody? Or, were you referring to another post when I called the EHX tube preamp "quirky," with a scratchy gain pot and electrical hum? Is that sucking up, or is it presenting unbiased feedback based upon personal experience?

Is it your sole purpose in life to anonymously give people unwarranted negative rep?

- Jerfo

Yeah, I got a negative rep from someone who accused me of providing Alan with homosexual favors. Don't know who it was.

alanhyatt said:
This is hard to say, but I do not think so. Our association with VAC Rack, and Stephen Paul are very high end products and so we have that working experience with developing high end goods now. I think once the products are out and they are used, that will be the judgement day.

I am not worried about it. I think it is widely known when we entered the market, we brought more quality to the low end. Perhaps this is our opinion, but we think we did that. Building products to a different level is not an problem.

No one has ever complained about our build quality. Like everything, some like our products and some dont, but you can say that about any product.

So, time will tell..... :)

I almost hate to ask, but why did the SPA mic never start shipping. It was shown at a show last year.

Back