Studio Project C1, AT2020, or NT1a???

velvetcrush

I'm looking for a clean mic for vocals and 12 string acoustic. Something that won't give harsh highs, but will define lows, and give a natural, rounded tone. Think inxs/bono. I'm on a budget, so i've narrowed it down to the studio projects c1, at202, rode nt1a, and the shure ksm27...any ideas???

I use the AT2020 all the time for vocals and as a room mic for micing guitar cabs with good results. I don't have problems with sibilance or proximity effect with this mic. Overall I would say it's decent, but not great, but for $100 I think it does well. I'm sure there may be better mic's out there. I haven't used the NT1a or the KSM27 so I can't compare.

BTW, keep in mind that a good mic pre will make a world of difference with just about any mic. A crappy pre will pretty much make anything sound crappy. So it's not always about the mic.

AT2020 is a great budget mic with a crisp, not harsh, high end which really helps tracks like an acoustic cut in a mix. On the other hand, low end response is less than ideal...great to control proximity, however limits it's flexability with some voices and instruments.

Big Kenny said:
Cad M179
At4040

Yep. That Shure KSM27 is probably not a bad idea, either, but I'd go with the CAD M179.

The NT1/C1 are too bright/harsh for acoustic guitar, imo.

velvetcrush said:
I'm looking for a clean mic for vocals and 12 string acoustic. Something that won't give harsh highs, but will define lows, and give a natural, rounded tone. Think inxs/bono. I'm on a budget, so i've narrowed it down to the studio projects c1, at202, rode nt1a, and the shure ksm27...any ideas???

The problem is that price range you are looking at does contain some OK mics but you're asking for a lot from a condenser for the little bit of money you're wanting to pay.

On the super cheap, I'd say get the MXL 990/991 combo. Use the 991 on the guitar and try the 990 on vocals. They are both bright but with proper placement you can get musical results.

Moving on up the food chain... I think Big Kenny nailed it with the CAD M179 or the AT4040. If you're more interested in the vocal sound, then I'd pick the AT4040 between the two. In any event, these are probably two of the best condensers under $300. The KSM27 is bright but a good choice as well.

great...awesome ideas! thanks. I'll have to look into that at4040. I've actually used the cad 179 in other studios recently. It gave me a great mid range response and natural tone, however, I couldn't get it to be crisp on the highs and resonate the lows at the same time. I could probably use a vst plugin to do that though. I really liked the sound of the akg 414, and the blue baby bottle...but cant afford either of them.

If you're looking for neutral

two of the mics that have the best rep for flat and clean (in that price range) are the SP B-1 and the AKG C2000, about $100 and $200 respectively.

You might also consider the AT 3035 and MXL V67.

I don't know that you're going to find what you want in one mic, though. And most people use 2 mics for acoustic guitar, though of course, there are no rules.

You might try one or two of the MSH mics for the 12 string, and then you could concentrate on a strictly vocal mic.

Velvet, I haven't owned any of the mics you mentioned, but I agree with Cardio that the SP B-1 is a great all-purpose mic for $100. I use it on only acoustic stringed instruments like it so much that I bought a second. I don't know how it works for vocals since my voice reeks. But the forum has discussed this mic--and the other mics on your list--plenty in recent years; in fact, that's how I learned about the B1. Try a search for more.

Good luck,
J.

Get a pair of the Niaint omni's (on sale thru the end of Feb.), and maybe a MXL V67G, the V67G is not very sibilant. From what others have posted the SP B1 probably falls into the not very sibilant category as well. My wifes SSSS's are very strong at 8KHz, our shiny box ribbon is the best mic I have ever tried on her, next would be a Beta 57a, next would be the V67G, then the V69, far down the list is the AT3035 picked up lots of SSSS's with that one.

velvetcrush, the SP C1 is not a good acoustic steel-stringed gtr mic. You throw a 12 string on it and it'll rattle your brain. It's also quite colored. The SP B1, which is more neutral, can be excellent on acoustic gtrs, but maybe not the best on vox. The NT1A is not a mic I'd recommend on any accounts. The AT2020 is bright and a bit plain jane. I'd recommend the B1 over it in almost every case. The AT4040's a cool mic on acoustic gtr. A bit grainy, and can be lackluster if it doesn't work well on the vox. The KSM27's got a sugary top and is more clear than the AT mics. The KSM32 and AT4040 are both great all-around studio mics for a lot of applications, including drum OH's and amps.

In your price range, I'd recommend the AKG Vienna or Hamburg. I reviewed them at http://www.studioreviews.com/vienna-hamburg.htm

Also, if you're going for bono/inxs you should seriously consider the Shure SM7B dynamic mic. It's in the $300ish range. Although you'd want to make sure you have a mic preamp with a good amount of gain to drive an SM7B. Killer mic. Used in big studios on records left and right.

Good luck with it...

Awesome...haven't heard anything about the adk's... Got to try a Cad m179 the other night. Have got to say...I've read alot of great things about them...but all I got was a flat response with absolutely no color. T think I'll stay away from that mic for the time being...it may be useful for some apps, but not mine. I'm looking for something thats gonna be clear, but define both the highs and lows. I've gotten the sound before - once from a Blue baby bottle going into a Universal Audio 610, once from a Soundelux 251 going into a TC gold channel, and once from an AKG 414 going into a high end lexicon pre.
I'm not sure if the mic was doing the work, or the pres. In the case of the 251, probably the mic...are there any budget mics that sound like these.....???

I have an SP C1, but I only use it for vocals. For the guitar (6 string acoustic) I use an AT 3035. And I also use the AT 3035 for vocals. Both are around $200 US new.

velvetcrush said:
Got to try a Cad m179 the other night. Have got to say...I've read alot of great things about them...but all I got was a flat response with absolutely no color.

I can't imagine how you'd expect anything different than the sound you got if you did read anything about it. Based on most reviews I've read, and on my own personal use, I'd say it is a neutral mic with NO color. No "hyping" of frequencies. That's the general consensous around here as well.

Dot said:
Ah, sorry. Brain fart...

That's the ADK Vienna and Hamburg.

I've been pretty thoroughly unimpressed by the Hamburg. It sounds harsh on my voice, even through a tube pre (not toob). Natural and rounded, it is not, IMHO.

I've been really impressed by the ADK Generis tube mic, though. Flat out gorgeous tone, IMHO. Definitely worth looking into if you're a tenor. (Thanks, ljmaxx.)

I've also been quite impressed with the Chinese ribbon mics, particularly when modded with a Lundahl transformer (the Shinybox mics, for example). Very smooth sound, not at all harsh, but also not by any means dull.

For guitar, I'd second the Naiant MSH series. I don't think you can possibly go wrong with the MSH-1 series. I'd even be tempted to go with a pair of MSH-4s, one at the sound hole, one up a few frets. Haven't tried it, though. My pair of (current rev) MSH-4s is on order. I have one of the original rev, and IMHO, it's pretty sweet, but I wanted to have a second, and dang it, he redesigned it, so now I have to buy two to get a pair that are even remotely similar. :D

*sigh*

Also, for guitar, I've found a pair of Studio Projects B3 mics in a M-S arrangement to be good (one in figure-8, one in cardioid). I also found it to be sound quite good using an AT2020 as the cardiod instead. YMMV. A lot of it depends on the sound you're looking for.

I have the Rode NT1a and I find this mic can be quite harsh on certain vocolists but good on others. I also have a Studio Projects B1 and I find this mic slightly better overall but again can become harsh in the top end on some singers. I'm looking to add another mic to my collection, probably the AT4040.

Back