Studio Power

supercharged

Hey all, I'm in the preliminary stages of building a home studio (kind of like John's garage design) and I'm wondering about sending power into the room. Is there a specific way to install outlets in the room so that no sound escapes? Also, which would be better, installing the outlets in the walls or in the floor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Supercharged - you can bring your power cables in through your walls but make sure you seal the hole completely. It is advisable to keep your audio cables away from your power cables. You can mount your power points onto the wall but again make sure you seal the hole created. I would advise a power point or more under where your console will go to power your gear. Also make some points available for keyboards etc that might be setup in the control room. Some people recommend metal ducts for your power and audio - in a pro studio you would but for a home studio I think it's overkill.
cheers
john

Heya...

supercharged said:
Hey all, I'm in the preliminary stages of building a home studio (kind of like John's garage design) and I'm wondering about sending power into the room. Is there a specific way to install outlets in the room so that no sound escapes? Also, which would be better, installing the outlets in the walls or in the floor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

One thing to add to what John said. Bring the power into the room, and if you have to poke one little hole for the wire, that's fine, seal it up with caulk. But please don't kill your walls by cutting holes the size of outlets in them. Instead, surface mount your oulets. There's a company called Wiremold that makes REALLY nice looking surface mount outlets and wire runs. It doesn't look bad, and it will dramaticaly help the sound proofing of your walls. I just started running the electricity in my studio (although I've done this stuff for my job many times) and it looks impressive. There's something about a light switch that is surface mounted... they look really nice. Also, please take CODE into consideration. According to most city codes you have to have an outlet every 10 feet. That way you don't end up running so many extension cords and the threat of fire is less.
Also, do you know how to add a breaker to your panel? Just look at the number on the breakers that are already there, write them down or whatever, and go to the hardware store and get another one, maybe two. There should be a couple open spots for new ones. That way you don't have to worry about overloading a circuit.

conduit is shielding

In my opinion conduit is best in the studio because it goes on after soundproofing and it shields your power lines from interference. Also power conditioners are a good idea at the beginning of each circuit. Rock on

Back