Studio of noobs

Cody0103

So i have a line up of studio stuff im going to buy, just basic things for my first home studio. Here is the line up. Any recomendations on equipment,software any thing that is the same price range that may get me more juice for my dollar please let me know. (or any Basic things that may help)

Acid music Studio 7

M-Audio FireWire Solo Mobile audio Interface

MXL Condenser Studio mic With mogami cable

Double pop filter

Yamaha HS50M 5" Power studio Monitor X2

DR pro tripod Boom Stand

Sennheiser HD280 Pro Closed-Back Head Phones

Auralex Wedgies (24)

definetly look into more room treatment. I dont know what kind of quality your looking for but acoustics will determine that for you if your not careful. Take some time to research room acoustics. Ive come to realize this to be one of the top considerations while building a studio (especially in small rooms). Not an expert here but just my opinion.

Thank you. the room is fairly small. So i wont have to put up to many clouds i would imagine. Would you recommend any specific materials?

Head over to the studio building section and post up some pics or plans of your space. You'll get more answers there.

Will do, i should have them posted in about 15 minutes. Remember though there is still a bunch of crap in my room.

Ok so here is the room. Every thing is being moved out exept for the couch wich will be up against the wall in picture 4. (if the pictures didnt load up let me know) Picture 2 and 3 are the walls oposite of each other and are the exact same size. 1 and 4 like wyse.

Attachments

• Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Room 2.jpg
    Room 2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Room 3.jpg
    Room 3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Room wall 4.jpg
    Room wall 4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 154
The computer, desk, and monitors will be in the corner by the kurt cobain poster, but they will be pointin at the oposite wall. And i think ill put the mic's were the bed is. And when the time comes we will set drums up there. Or.. i dont know were to put things yet haha, so im just kinda puting together arangements in my head

it's recommended away from a wall with the speakers throwing to the far wall. Do a search and you'll find out a lot more on the subject.

Thank you. the room is fairly small. So i wont have to put up to many clouds i would imagine. Would you recommend any specific materials?

On the contrary, the smaller the room the more absorbtion you are going to need. Do head over to the studio building section. There are alot of people on the site that will help you but you also need to do a bit of research before you start spending money on things that may not improve much.

http://www.realtraps.com has a ton of good info.

From the pictures I see several points you should be concerned about... 1, the fireplace. 2, lots of ductwork. 3, what appears to be a large window or sliding door (hard to tell through the drapes) Any of these can be a major source of sound transmission, either letting unwanted sound in or letting musical sounds out. These are almost like having a big hole in the wall or roof. You will need air so you can't plug everything but you do need to plug as many sources where unwanted sound can get in as is practical.

yes it is a sliding door, im not too worried about sound geting in, since the neiborhood is extremley quite. We never run the vents so that wont be a problem. Maybe if i can find some aurelex drapes? HAHA. mybe i could put the couch infront of the fire place. Thanks for pointing that out, ill continue to research

yes it is a sliding door, im not too worried about sound geting in, since the neiborhood is extremley quite. We never run the vents so that wont be a problem. Maybe if i can find some aurelex drapes? HAHA. mybe i could put the couch infront of the fire place. Thanks for pointing that out, ill continue to research

I don't know if you have finished your studio yet?
But I would cast a vote to put the recording desk
across the fire place wall. Looks like you have some
nice little closets for computers. and other noisy
outboard gear.

Back