Studio Monitors?

HWB

Do I really need expensive studio monitors for amateur recording or will good stereo speakers work?

If you just getting into recording, just use what you have until you can afford to move more recording equipment into the equation. Yes you can use Good Stereo speakers, but the results will not translate all that great. The cost of professional monitors have dropped pretty low, you can get a pair for around $200 bucks, which is far less than some home stereo speakers. The problems of using stereo speakers which have a dynamic frequency response will reveal themselves soon enough. Do what ya gotta do to get it done.

SoMm

VF160 Getting my system set up

I recently bought a VF160 and I'm looking at a pair of Behringer Truth studio monitors. I'm also looking at some Audio Technica ATH M40 headphones. I don't plan to do anything professional, basically amateur recording. Do you think these products would be a good choice???

Interesting that this is in the Fostex Forum.... I recently got a pair of Fostex PM-1 active monitors. I listened to a bunch of different ones using music that I had mixed myself. That's what I recommend to everyone - listen to the speakers yourself, your ears are different than other folks ears.

Anyway, I *LOVE* my Fostex monitors. Wonderfully flat, neutral response. They let me hear and correct all the "warts" in my mixes. They go for about $400. -- well worth it. The specs say that they are +/- 2dB from 50-20K and I believe it.

-lee-

I too just got a pair of PM-1's and am seriously impressed. Most people don't think of Fostex when it comes to monitors, but these are really good for the price. I too had to go back and redo a bunch of mixes that now sound great on any system I play them on.

Back