Studio Monitors.

Dark Fader

Just an interesting tale...
I had a punk band in my studio that i was recording, and while i was tracking i had been kinda mixing as I went along. I use Cakewalk Sonar and a couple Hi-Fi junk speakers. Well, my soundcard began to flip out and consequently, I had to bring the whole project over to a friend's studio. He just so happened to be borrowing a pair of event 20/20bas monitors. Well, i loaded up the project and hit play, and "WOW! This is terrible!!!" The mix seemed very middy and muddy. Well, I was a convert right then. My next big purchase a month later was a pair of Yamaha MSP5's... a bi-amped studio monitor Yamaha designed them to replace the NS10's, and they are simply incredible. They have less power than the events but they have plenty o' power. I keep the volume control on the speakers themselves at halfway, and i use the attenuator on my mackie board to control the level. No noise, (using the unbalanced 1/4 inch connector, not the balanced XLRs) and i can't even stand to turn up the level to 2 o'clock. The accuracy is amazing. I will listen to old CDs that i thought i knew like the back of my hand and its like a treasure hunt, you find sooo much new stuff. Anyway, the speakers use a 5 inch driver that is really unbelievable at creating solid and present lows, and a 1 inch titanium tweeter. The amp breakdown is something like 70 wats for low and 30 for high. Anyway, at $250 a pop, these monitors are a steal, in my opinion. But then again, i would think that, wouldn't I? I already bought them. There is a $250 sub that you can order also that is supposed to work well with the system, but apparently you can get it at best buy... i'm a little skeptical. also, my $250 is better spent somewhere else right now. So, if you are in the market for clean, accurate studio monitors to really hear what is going on in your mix, at least check them out.

P.S. I don't work for yamaha. Just sayin.

Welcome to the next level - as you found out, it doesn't matter WHAT you listen to, if the "before" is home-oriented "give 'em what they like" stuff and the "after" is a set of spkrs that tries to present a "flat" response, it's gonna be an ear opener...

In all fairness, even expensive speakers, if used incorrectly, won't sound nearly as good as they can under ideal circumstances. For example, speakers that are designed as mid or far-fields won't do a good job as nearfields. It has to do with (partly) the spacing of the individual speaker drivers within the cabinet compared to the listening distance. If the ratio of driver separation to listening distance isn't large enough, it causes phase incoherence and "smearing", which removes a lot of the clarity you experienced.

I've listened to the MSP-5's, and they are the first nearfield with titanium tweets I've been able to stand. I have a set of Tannoy PBM6.5's that sit in the corner most of the time because those titanium tweets give me a headache after about 30 minutes. My KRK's use 1" silk domes, and I can listen to them at the same volume for all day.

Anyway, it's great to find something that gives you so much pleasure, even if it does mean spending an extra year re-listening all over again - enjoy... Steve

Back