studio monitors

Kante

Hey Guys!
I'm looking for a quality set of studio monitors for my home studio. So far I'm leaning towards the Mackie HRS824, and the KRK V8. Can you give your opinion of these monitors or maybe recommand another set of monitors I could look into buying.

Let me know if you're heard of anything in the price range of both monitors that are worth investigating.

you mostly get what you pay for

If you can afford the Mackies it would be hard to go wrong, but I'd still suggest taking a CD or two to a place you can try some monitors out. Personally, I settled on the Event PS6 pair for my mini-studio, but if you have a larger space you'd probably want more juice. On the other hand, if the Mackies would be a bit too much for your studio space, I read that Makie has a smaller set coming out in January. Also, there are a lot of monitor reviews online that I was able to find when I was shopping.

-Shaz

Yo Kante:

Using your Meta-phsical connection to, Kant, just research this site and you will find, Voila, a zillion words discussing monitors.

Also, use your ears at a live audition if you can.

Merry Christmas
Green Hornet

Prorec.com also had a monitor shootout where they rated 10 Monitors. Check it out here: http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/0B7FAE7ED3205D3C86256AE100044F41

IMO, the Mackies are a set of speakers that will last you a long time. They are full-range and extremely wide and accurate. With many other speakers you are likely to replace them at some time. I doubt that you would ever need to replace the Mackies, perhaps only adding to them at a later time. Great Monitors. I wish I was in your shoes. You should listen to them yourself, but I have not run into anyone who hasn't liked this monitor.

I prefer the V8s to the Mackies but they are both quite nice.... the V8s have a tighter low-end and more "in-your-face" mids...

Bruce

Thanks

Just wanted to thank all of you for the input. Once again the information given is insightful and will be put to good use.

Have a look at the reviews section at www.computermusic.co.uk. Somewhere in there they have a roundup of some of the more popular active monitors, comparing them point by point and awarding marks out of ten. I think you might find this helpful. However, the other respondents are almost certainly right. I have never heard anyone complain about the Makies. If you can afford them, go for it. I have the Tannoy Active Reveals myself which are really very good, though probably not in the same league as the Mackies. Much cheaper, though and good all-rounders. Genelec, however, are greatly overrated in my view. I did an a/b test at a music shop with my eyes closed while the assistant switched from the genelecs to the Tannoys, and I much preferred the latter. So, to echo another point made earlier, ignore hype and be sure to test them before buying so you can make your own mind up.
Best,
Mole.

I agree....if you can afford the Mackie's, go for it. I have the Roland DS-90a's, which I love, but the Mackies are far better. I spent alot on these....$900 for the pair, but the Mackies were still another $400+ if memory serves. I have a friend with a studio running Cubase. He has the Mackies. They are a bit cleaner on the high end then my DS-90a's.

If you want to go less than the Mackies, though, these Rolands are a great deal. Especially if you are running a digital setup, because you can go 24-bit digital right up to the speakers. They will still take your analog inputs, as well....

Tom Kemp

Back