Studio Monitors

guywithglasses

When it comes to studio, I'm still a complete n00b. I've been wanting to get a good, decent, flat-response studio monitors. Problem is, I don't know what brand to get. I wanted something of a good enough quality fr a beginner but at a really decent price. I know a few brands that make them like M-Audio, AKG, ADAM, etc. Does anybody know what brand to start with.

And don't say ebay.

When it comes to studio, I'm still a complete n00b. I've been wanting to get a good, decent, flat-response studio monitors. Problem is, I don't know what brand to get. I wanted something of a good enough quality fr a beginner but at a really decent price. I know a few brands that make them like M-Audio, AKG, ADAM, etc. Does anybody know what brand to start with.

And don't say ebay.

Sorry to say but there are a 1000 answers to this and you will probably get all of them. First up how much do you want to spend? When you have a budget then it will come down to personal preference.

Alan

Despite what the-music-man says, many people have said the Rokits (be it 5, 6, or 8) sound really good for the money.
I'm personally investing in the Yamaha HS80Ms here in about a week. The Yamaha HS series and the KRK Rokits are always a decent one for budgets.
If you're looking for higher end, the Adam A7x monitors are REALLY amazing. Great monitors. As are the Mackie HR824 mkII.
Hopefully this helps you out a bit!

Steer clear of Krk rokit 5 g2, i have them and i dont think they are worth the money

I'll agree there. They seem to try to fake being large=hyped in the low end=inaccurate. I used them for over a year (my son still uses them for creating his dubstep stuff) and struggled to get mixes to translate.

However, now I mix mostly with KRK G2 8's. Much more clarity and mixes translate to other playback systems quite well.

I also have a pair of Event TR8's that are quite revealing (clear mid-range), though not so much 'oomph' in the low end. I tend to use them when working with guitars and vocals, then final mixing with the Rockit's.

I also use a $60 pair of Philips SPA 7210's (computer speakers) for reference. Funny, that some of my fine tuning will be done with these cheapies. I find it more productive for myself, to have a few different monitors to compare on 'switchable' in the studio, though it took quite a while to learn what each was telling me.

If I were to only keep one pair, it would be the Rockit 8's.

I have heard the HS80's and they were going to be my first upgrade choice, but found the KRK 8's used for a price I couldn't say no to.

I have some older m-audio bx8a's cause i was on a tight budget when i bought monitors. Like all monitors with a round port hole there are more inaccuracies in the low end than what i would like but hey we're on a tight budget. Knowing what I know now I would look for something with a smaller port or no port hole, and invest an equal amount in acoustic treatment. Studio headphone monitors are something to think about also if acoustic treatment is not an option. I also use cheap pc speakers to reference how my mix is coming along. With enough time and practice your ears will learn what your monitors sound like.
If you want the flatest possible monitors for the money try and find a spectral decay plot for the monitors you are interested in.

Back