Studio Monitors vs. Computer Speakers

cutout

I know I will probably get flak for this. But 12 years ago when I home-recorded a lot on a low-budget setup, I powered/monitored my mixes using an old-school stereo receiver and large stereo speakers. This made it really easy to hear the music sound more faithful to how it would sound to the listener, many of who back in those days listened on stereos. I was very productive back then and my final songs sounded "true" to how I'd recorded them.

I got back into recording last year and decided to upgrade. I got two M-Audio studio monitors that were recommended highly. Somehow after a year, I still cannot adjust to the difference in sound. They are bassy and "flat", as expected, but all that means is once I finish my mix and listen on a computer—the machine which everyone uses for playback these days—it sounds totally different. I spend lots of time trying to figure out how to mix my song and anticipate how it will sound on computer speakers and/or headphones.

So... I'm sure I'm an idiot for not grasping the subtleties and advantages of using proper studio monitors. But does anyone simply use high-quality computer speakers instead?

I don't think there's any point in buying 'studio monitors' from the bottom rung. (not saying you did...)
I've had alesis and samson monitors and they really weren't worth having at all.

I'd much rather have a decent pair of 'hi-fi' speakers and an amplifier (yamaha/marantz/denon) any day.

Which M-audios did you get? What are the reviews like on them?

"the machine which everyone uses for playback these days" - not everyone...

If you make a good mix it should translate between systems. Mix for computer/MP3 playback and what's it going to sound like on a hi fi, or in a car, or on the radio. That's the point of relatively neutral monitors.

And what's a "high quality computer speaker"?

...Somehow after a year, I still cannot adjust to the difference in sound. They are bassy and "flat", as expected, but all that means is once I finish my mix and listen on a computer—the machine which everyone uses for playback these days—it sounds totally different. I spend lots of time trying to figure out how to mix my song and anticipate how it will sound on computer speakers and/or headphones.

I have "bottom rung" JBL LSR305's. Yes, they too sound bassy and flat: In my untreated room. I recently tried them in a friends treated room on isolated stands. HUGE difference. They sound great to me. Fairly even response that seems to translate to my home stereo and even my mp3 player. I learned my lesson: no room treatment = don't waste money on even expensive ones.

Oops sorry, I meant Mackie, not M-Audio. They're the MR5s.

I guess when I'm saying high-end speakers, as opposed to reference monitors I'm thinking of stuff like these -

Amazon.com : X Series Multimedia Speakers : Computer Speakers : Computers & Accessories

...But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about ;)

I can't give an honest opinion without having heard them. But I will make an inappropriate statement after an honest question: How many pro level monitors have you seen with a perforated metal grill in front of the drivers?

Inappropriate and something to not think about: It must be meant to prevent fluids from contaminating the woofer right? What is the biggest market for lonely guys who use computers? What containment are they blocking?

Just saying...

Oh, and eww! :eek:

Don't buy used! lol

And don't get me wrong. I check my mixes often in studio with a pair of $50 Phillips SPA 7210's. Well, they were that price when I bought them. I find it is always a good idea to reference what others may be hearing with. These actually help me to determine good vocal levels quite often.

I avoid contaminating them with beer spit and sneeze snot.

I suppose in an environment where young children have access to the monitors, the protective grill would be a benefit.

And don't get me wrong. I check my mixes often in studio with a pair of $50 Phillips SPA 7210's. Well, they were that price when I bought them. I find it is always a good idea to reference what others may be hearing with. These actually help me to determine good vocal levels quite often.

I avoid contaminating them with beer spit and sneeze snot.

You're making working in your studio sound a pretty compelling option there jimmy... :D

Most of the advice I'd gotten was "if you buy real reference monitors, you can hear the flaws better and develop your music in a more stringent environment so that it sounds better once it's mastered." I guess my ears aren't sophisticated enough to find this useful and I'd rather develop music on the same speakers I'll be using to listen to the finished product. Does that make sense?

Most of the advice I'd gotten was "if you buy real reference monitors, you can hear the flaws better and develop your music in a more stringent environment so that it sounds better once it's mastered." I guess my ears aren't sophisticated enough to find this useful and I'd rather develop music on the same speakers I'll be using to listen to the finished product. Does that make sense?

It depends. If you're only making the music for yourself, I don't see why not. Otherwise, it is not a good idea. Monitors aren't just for revealing details (that too). Different hi-fi speakers are tuned differently frequency-wise. Monitors are relatively flat frequency-wise and that is why your music will translate better to different systems.

I always suggest (and Chris Lord-Alge does too) to check on BOTH your studio monitors and a little cheap boom box. One gives you the higher end spectrum where you'll have the low frequency information, the other shows you what it'll sound like coming out of 2" speakers.

I'll always check my mix on a small system and it's easy to tell if there are problems. If the speakers sound like they're close to bursting, the low end needs some work. If my ears are being torn off by the vocals, maybe I needed to throw a de-esser on the sucker (or manually do it, but you get my point).

Some good advice (as usual) from the Armistice/Jimmy double act.

A couple of disjointed comments to add...

First cheap computer speakers (and even hifi speakers below a certain level) are designed to make music sound artificially good. Reference monitors are designed to show music flaws and all. The "make it sound good" speakers will be fine if they're all you listen to but if your music will be heard on a variety of things (say a mix of iPhone, car stereo and your friends home stereo) then you're better off going for something that can work anywhere.

Second, even with the best monitors you have to teach your ears about how they sound. I always say "do a mix, make copies, then listen critcally on lots of different systems (good and bad) making notes on how it sounds. Then go back an remix based on your notes and repeat the whole process". As well as that, throw in some playback of commercial recordings you know well and see how THEY sound on the reference monitors compared to your mix.

...or, do what I did and get some monitors in the 1980s and refuse to change 'cause you've learned how they sound.

Back