Studio log sheet for simple solo recordings

zenpicker

I keep refining my home studio logging system to capture all the settings I need in order to properly document a recording and/or mixing session. My setup is very simple as I am a solo player - a few mikes, a couple pres, compressors, and the DAW. So I've stripped this down pretty carefully. I thought it might be of use to any others doing solo acoustic recording, so I've posted it here:

http://www.edwardhamlin.com/music/studio/Studio_Log_Sheet_EH.doc

It's rather specific to my own purposes but easily adaptable to yours. HTH - e.

Nice

I think that most of us use something similar. I have a friend who has a pretty involved setup. At the end of each session he quickly videos the board, the rack, and the room. In a very short time he has all of his settings and what mics were used, etc. I guess it is whatever you get used to.

It's nicely done sheet that can help with keeping some things organized....though it's rather short/limited, with little room for details.

My tracking "sheet" is just blank notebook page. :D
At the top I write down the Reel, start postion, BPM, Song Title, etc...but then belwo that, I can write as much or as little per/track.

I like to write down everything for each instrument.
Like for a guitar track it might be...mics, which guitar, which pickup, which amp, amp settings, mic(s) postion on the speaker(s), which preamp, preamp settings....etc...etc..etc.
So just having a blank page allows me to write as little or as much details as needed, and I write with a pencil, that way I can erase stuff if I change my mind with something and do it over.
I keep the notepad on aclipboard and can take it with me from to the instruments/devices to make the notes.

It can look a bit messy...but I have way more info than you find on a typical track sheet with the little boxes.

Back