Studio is finished! Wait....maybe not :(

marshall409

Ok ok so its not REALLLY finished. We decided to take a break from construction and get some use out of the room and give my mom a chance to catch up on that home depot credit card :p still to do: trim, paint, flooring, new windows, and ACOUSTIC TREATMENT (more on that later)

First the before:

2vcgxnd.jpg

And now: The desk:
2ir515z.jpg

The other end of the room, trying to show the ceiling (boxed in I beam and ductwork)

makmjd.jpg

Booth window to the left of desk, superchunk bass traps in all four corners

a0v5zb.jpg

In the booth, old 703 panels on ghetto stands, and one of the new black absorber panels I plan on using for the rest of the room

1z1z2ib.jpg

How I built the new panels (Steel studding track, corner bead flattened out for support across, wood added to back for stapling fabric now shown)

bjh26g.jpg

And finally from inside the booth

2j61sh4.jpg

Ok so now that you've seen what I have so far, I'm looking for suggestions on acoustic treatment.

The room is about 19x13, sheetrock on steel stud all around, two big windows on the wall to the right of the mix position, and a small booth window and door to the left. Front and back walls are plain. The 7' 8" ceiling is divded up by a boxed in I beam in the middle of the room, and the back ~4' of the room is about a foot lower (boxed in ductwork).

The booth is about 8x5, but I only use one end of it, the other half is blocked by two standing gobos. The booth is almost completely dead which from what I've read is about the best I can do. For now, the booth treatment is done.

As for the main room, I have installed Roxul superchunk bass traps in all four corners floor to ceiling. The room is not good enough to have band practice in...very hard on the ears, snare and cymbals especially are almost unbearable. I hope to improve this with some more 2x4 3" Roxul panels placed strategically around the room.

Questions:

Should I just builld a bunch and place them around the walls wherver I see fit? For the front and back walls, would one big 4x8 (jesus) absorbing panel be btter? Or some sort of diffusor/deflector?

I know about making a RFZ...I'm more just looking for input on the best way to treat this as a live room more than a control room right now.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the crapp pictures ps!

-Adam

no help guys? :(

I'm building 16 panels this week. 4 for the roof, 4 on the back wall, 4 on the front wall, 4 for the side walls and I'm just space 'em out evenly and go from there I guess.

Need a floor plan...the pics don't help that much. The only thing I can offer is the basics:

Make sure you setup so that you’re firing down the longest dimension of the room.
Your head should be placed 38% of the way into the room, centered between the left and right walls
Your head should also be located at the tip of an equilateral triangle with your speakers. Start at a 5’ width and go from there.
Use at least 4” bass trapping in all the corners, floor to ceiling if possible.
Use 4” or 6” bass traps on the back wall; the thicker the better basically.
Use 4” panels behind the speakers on the front wall
The reflection points to the right, left and above your head can be treated with either 2” or 4” panels. I prefer 4” panels personally; you can never really overdo bass trapping.
In the case of larger rooms you can use diffusion on the right and left walls near the rear of the room, between your bass traps on the back wall or on the ceiling to the rear of your ceiling panels.

Frank

Here's a rough floorplan...

The panels I can build are all 3 inch as all I can track down locally is Roxul Safe n Sound. They seem to work pretty well though. The corners already have floor to ceiling superchunk absorbers, also made with Roxul SS.

I built 4 2x4 panels and hung them on the back wall, and one at the two side FRP's of the mix postition. A cloud over the mix position is next, and a panel behind each speaker, then the rest of the ceiling to help overhead mics pick up less reflection off the ceiling.

Should I carpet this room?

Attachments

• basement copy.jpg
    basement copy.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 85
You really should be using 4", but you have to go with what you can get. You could always double up the 3" to get 6", but that would double the insulation costs as well.

I wouldn't carpet the room if I were you. You can always soften a wood (or concrete) floor with area rugs.

Frank

Back