Studio help

GoneinUS

My studio

Ok, I am now finally able to start putting together my studio in the basement of our house (the basement is an apartment that we rented out before, but now I get to have my studio down there). I need a little help figuring out exactly what I need to do to make it sound better acoustically. One note: I do not want to do major construction to the basement. We may want to rent the basement out again in the future, so we want to leave the current construction the way it is. I know that this situation is not ideal, but it is what I have to work with. I will be using a security camera system to see into the vocal and live rooms from the control room.

http://studentweb.stcloudstate.edu/fiaa0301/studio/

I have several cargo blankets that I plan on using for absorption on the walls (I realize it won’t really help low frequencies). I also have some 2” wedge foam ceiling tiles on the way for the vocal room. Should I buy more wedge foam for other areas of the studio for the ceiling? I am also going to make 3 temporary walls out of PVC (about 6’ high and over 6’ long each) and hang cargo blankets over the PVC frame. Also, there is a lot of crap in the pictures, just ignore it. No time to clean when I am trying to get work done!

Live Room:

Ok, the live room is the living room of the basement apartment. It is rather long and narrow in some spots. I was planning on recording drums in here, probably close to the vocal room and by the window, because this area has the most room. I have heard you want a more live sound for the drums, so I was thinking of buying some plywood and putting it under the drum set. Should I put cargo blankets on the walls in here? Should I put wedge foam on the ceiling? Any other ideas about this room?

Vocal Room:

The vocal room is a 8’ x 5.5’ closet. I have cargo blankets covering all the walls (although in the pictures, some of them are down because I am running cable ATM). I am putting wedge foam on the ceiling this weekend. I also have the white rug on the floor. Do you think I will need to double up on the cargo blankets? Any other suggestions in here?

Control Room:

Ok. This room is definitely not ideal. There is a spot in the middle where the ceiling drops 8” (where the track lighting is). I have a cargo blanket up on the left side of the computer, should I do the same on the right? Should I put cargo blankets on the back and front walls? I am moving a couch and bookshelf with books in the control room this weekend as well. I hear that they may help as a poor man’s bass trap if a foot or so off the wall. Should I make bass traps (ala owens corning 703 or 705)? I have been having a hard time finding it in my area so far. What should I have my monitors set at (it has 3 settings for the monitor placement set up, I was thinking maybe ¼)? Any other ideas?

Thanks

first thing i would recomend is putting down a hard floor in that live room. Makes for a much better acoustic space

hardwood looks really nice

Well, I was planning on buying some thin plywood to lay down on the floor when needed for recording. We just put that carpet in last summer, so its a little expensive to replace it already. Plus, the live room is going to double as a family room when we are not recording. It's cooler downstairs in the summer. Thanks for the advice. Anything else?

Gone,

> I have several cargo blankets that I plan on using for absorption on the walls (I realize it won’t really help low frequencies). <

From your detailed post it's obvious you know that blankets and foam are not very useful, so I won't belabor that. If you ever hope to get good results while mixing you simply must have substantial low frequency absorption. This can range from a few $25 bales of fiberglass stacked in all the corners to high-performance commercial bass traps. But blankets and foam won't cut it. You knew that already. :D

For the complete story, have a look at the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

> What should I have my monitors set at <

Those switches don't do nearly as much as you'd hope. All they adjust is a little overall low end boost/cut. The real problem in all rooms is a huge series of peaks and deep nulls that riddle the entire low end.

--Ethan

Back