Studio gear plans.. advice?

stratmaster713

New to the forum,

After doing a bit of reading and reading a lot of reviews, this is my current idea for my studio to be. I don't plan on buying any of the gear until I'm 100% set on the setup I want in the end, so I dont waste money on the way there.

My needs:
*Computer based
*8CH interface minimum, and expandable with quality preamps
*simpler, the better
*Going for a "mixerless" setup...

Not sure on:
*computer monitors: I am unsure if 2 computer monitors would be better than 1 large one? I was figuring, 1 could have the mixer and then the other could display the tracks only..? What are some thoughts on this? and is 37" or 2- 32" monitors overdoing it?
*MIDI keyboard or workstation? not really sure how midi works as far as integrating into DAW software, and what are good keyboards. What are pros to having the $1000+ keyboards honestly over $100 midi controller?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

layout.jpg

I like dual monitors myself, it seems to be a popular choice. A $100 midi controller is fine for recording.

Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money on a custom computer and those Steinberg interfaces. You can get a good 16 channel interface for $300-$600 and a decent HP for $500 -

What are your specific needs and what do you plan to record? I am just curious why you need more than 8 channels of simultaneous recording. Most home studios are not recording anything more than a drumset which will require 6-8 ins. More is not always better, meeting your needs is.

Dual monitors, like arcadeko mentioned, are the way to go. In my opinion, it is MUCH better than having just one big one. It is easier to multi-task and have the mixer up on one and tracks on another with the plugs, etc..

There are pros to having a nicer midi controller, better key recation (and feel from semi weighted or weighted keys), extra functionallity, better response, etc...However, again it all depends on WHAT you plan to do with the midi. If you want it for mostly piano, I would spend extra to get a full 88 key controller with weighted or at least semi-weighted keys. You don't really typically want weighted keys, however, if you are planning to do mostly percussion, or something that requires alot of fast bounce back in the keys.

I also would probably do more of a custom build on a computer, You're going to want processing power and lots of ram. Now days, I wouldn't go with any less than 8 gbs of ram. Are you planning to go PC or Mac?

What are your specific needs and what do you plan to record? I am just curious why you need more than 8 channels of simultaneous recording. Most home studios are not recording anything more than a drumset which will require 6-8 ins. More is not always better, meeting your needs is.

Dual monitors, like arcadeko mentioned, are the way to go. In my opinion, it is MUCH better than having just one big one. It is easier to multi-task and have the mixer up on one and tracks on another with the plugs, etc..

There are pros to having a nicer midi controller, better key recation (and feel from semi weighted or weighted keys), extra functionallity, better response, etc...However, again it all depends on WHAT you plan to do with the midi. If you want it for mostly piano, I would spend extra to get a full 88 key controller with weighted or at least semi-weighted keys. You don't really typically want weighted keys, however, if you are planning to do mostly percussion, or something that requires alot of fast bounce back in the keys.

I also would probably do more of a custom build on a computer, You're going to want processing power and lots of ram. Now days, I wouldn't go with any less than 8 gbs of ram. Are you planning to go PC or Mac?

thanks both of you, sounds like I will go with the dual monitor setup. Is 32" too large?

Interface
To answer your question about 8CH input, the reason I mentioned 8CH minimum is for the capability of recording a full drum set. You're right, that's about it. However, if for whatever reason I upgrade to a large enough facility or whatever where I wanted more than 8CH [recording full 4piece band at once?], I would have the option to expand on what I had without purchasing an entirely different system. Is the Steinberg one a good setup? They def have a lot of good reviews.. I have no problem spending the extra money if its good quality.

Computer
Is 8G of RAM really needed, haha jeez. I thought my 4G was sufficient. Well RAM isn't very expensive so the more the better. I was planning on running 64 bit PC, and purchasing all the parts thru an online website [not sure if I can mention them in the forum b/c of forum rules etc], but you know what I mean. Most custom computer barebones kits + extra RAM, harddrives, etc comes out to <$900-$1000 even for an i7 Intel processor based PC.. And I take it I'd need a decent video card to run 2 monitors simultaneously?

MIDI
Like I said, I honestly dont really understand the full capability of MIDI controllers and keyboards. I know some of these keyboard workstations can apparently do some amazing things.. For me, I expect to play piano thru the keyboard for the majority of the recordings I use it for. However, obviously it would be nice to use it for drum tracks and whatnot to program them. Are there certain keyboards that are "standards" as far as meeting these goals? I know Korg is typically a good name, some of their keyboards run $2k+ though. Another thing I am confused about with the MIDI keyboards is if you are paying $2k for one of these, how do you use its internal sound files for the instruments? Do you physically run it old school thru to the 8CH computer interface, or does it somehow know thru the computer the sounds thru the MIDI connection?

go head and add about another $200 for cables and stands lol. I did the same thing, spent my budget on everything else and still don't have enough stands and cables to be recording efficiently.

thanks both of you, sounds like I will go with the dual monitor setup. Is 32" too large?

I don't think 32" is to large, However, will you have a seperate iso room with a window? If so, just make sure you are able to see inside to an extent. However, if no, then I personally would not think it is to big, you may just need to sit back a little further to avoid eye strain. That WILL, however, give you alot of screen real estate for mixer and edit windows, and also room for all the plugs. One thing I will say is though, that things always seem smaller in the store. So if you see two 32" monitors in the store, once you get them into your room they WILL seem alot bigger. So maybe see the price difference of 27" monitors. Might be better for you?

Interface
To answer your question about 8CH input, the reason I mentioned 8CH minimum is for the capability of recording a full drum set. You're right, that's about it. However, if for whatever reason I upgrade to a large enough facility or whatever where I wanted more than 8CH [recording full 4piece band at once?], I would have the option to expand on what I had without purchasing an entirely different system. Is the Steinberg one a good setup? They def have a lot of good reviews.. I have no problem spending the extra money if its good quality.

Personally, I think if you reach the point where you have the funds to move to a much larger facility dedicated to recording, I would think that you would probably begin to upgrade your gear as well. Possibly a move to an HD system or something like that. You can get 8 channel interfaces for 500 to a couple grand, which in a way is pocket change to getting a new building.... Unless your just referring to something like kicking out the bedroom wall and conecting your studio to your kitchen or something (obviously a bit sarcastic, but you get my point).

Computer
Is 8G of RAM really needed, haha jeez. I thought my 4G was sufficient. Well RAM isn't very expensive so the more the better. I was planning on running 64 bit PC, and purchasing all the parts thru an online website [not sure if I can mention them in the forum b/c of forum rules etc], but you know what I mean. Most custom computer barebones kits + extra RAM, harddrives, etc comes out to <$900-$1000 even for an i7 Intel processor based PC.. And I take it I'd need a decent video card to run 2 monitors simultaneously?

I, personally, am a HUGE advocate for processing power and more RAM. And if you can only afford 4 gigs when you build your system, make damn sure your main board is capable of adding more! However, This is subjective to your OS. Windows 7 home 32 bit can support only 4 gigs of RAM. So if your system runs that, well then all you need is 4. If you have Home 64 bit, you can then support up to 16. Now, if you have Pro or Enterprise, you can support to 192 gigs (though good luck finding a home computer board that can take that much ;)) SO, that also will play into how much RAM you need. However, if you are running a 64 bit system, I would go no less than 8. Once you start mixing alot of tracks, adding effects and running plugs, it will start hitting your system hard.

MIDI
Like I said, I honestly dont really understand the full capability of MIDI controllers and keyboards. I know some of these keyboard workstations can apparently do some amazing things.. For me, I expect to play piano thru the keyboard for the majority of the recordings I use it for. However, obviously it would be nice to use it for drum tracks and whatnot to program them. Are there certain keyboards that are "standards" as far as meeting these goals? I know Korg is typically a good name, some of their keyboards run $2k+ though. Another thing I am confused about with the MIDI keyboards is if you are paying $2k for one of these, how do you use its internal sound files for the instruments? Do you physically run it old school thru to the 8CH computer interface, or does it somehow know thru the computer the sounds thru the MIDI connection?

I am not super into midi, yet. I plan to work alot more with it very soon, HOWEVER, I have a 66 key controller, and REALLY wish it was an 88. especially since piano was a main purpose for having it and i at times run into key limitations. However, if you want mostly piano, semi weighted or weighted keys are best. Possibly consider a weighted key controller for piano and strings and a smaller non weighted key controller for drums and bass or whatever else you might like. However, if you can't afford that, or dont want to go that route, and plan to do drums, I would do non-weighted or semi-weighted at the most. Weighted keys and drums can get tough, especially for faster stuff.

I know this is kind of a novel, but I hope it helps! Let us know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Nice setup. Personally I would made a custom made computer since it's very upgrade-friendly. And a nice pc it's importent for working with more tracks and plug-ins, as well as for the latency. But I really wouldn't spend the money on the Steinberg interface. For instance, you can buy Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. They have so awesome and clean preamps (8) and you can later expand to 2 SPDIF inputs as well as 8 ADAT inputs. So total of 18 simeltanous inputs!

For the pc building, you would make sure you choose a good cpu (The best AMD cpu are very reasonable price, and upgrade the stock cooling system!), a good motherboard without included graphiccard and with Firewire! Other then that at least 2 internal harddisk (1 for system and DAW and 1 as recording path). A cheap graphic card that supports two simeltanous monitors. I like the idea of 2 x 32"! You should experiment if it should be over eachoter or next to eachother. The os should be W7 64bit! and buy 8/12/16 gb of ram! It will save you for a lot of expanding costs later. Just make sure you replace the stock fans in the cabinet with something more silent. My computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner!

Other then that is a very nice setup! If you cannot afford everything, you should either exclude the Big Knob or Cubase controller. Later I really want to upgrade to a 8 channel control surface with motorized faders, and lid pots.
It depends slightly on what you want to record and/or mix/master.

Good luck! Let us know how it worked and post pictures! :D

By the way, instead of multicable, you should buy single cables if that's cheaper. Gives you much more freedom, maybe strips them if you're gonna use 8 together.. but NOT to tight, it will loose it's signal.

I don't think 32" is to large, However, will you have a seperate iso room with a window? If so, just make sure you are able to see inside to an extent. However, if no, then I personally would not think it is to big, you may just need to sit back a little further to avoid eye strain. That WILL, however, give you alot of screen real estate for mixer and edit windows, and also room for all the plugs. One thing I will say is though, that things always seem smaller in the store. So if you see two 32" monitors in the store, once you get them into your room they WILL seem alot bigger. So maybe see the price difference of 27" monitors. Might be better for you?

Personally, I think if you reach the point where you have the funds to move to a much larger facility dedicated to recording, I would think that you would probably begin to upgrade your gear as well. Possibly a move to an HD system or something like that. You can get 8 channel interfaces for 500 to a couple grand, which in a way is pocket change to getting a new building.... Unless your just referring to something like kicking out the bedroom wall and conecting your studio to your kitchen or something (obviously a bit sarcastic, but you get my point).

I, personally, am a HUGE advocate for processing power and more RAM. And if you can only afford 4 gigs when you build your system, make damn sure your main board is capable of adding more! However, This is subjective to your OS. Windows 7 home 32 bit can support only 4 gigs of RAM. So if your system runs that, well then all you need is 4. If you have Home 64 bit, you can then support up to 16. Now, if you have Pro or Enterprise, you can support to 192 gigs (though good luck finding a home computer board that can take that much ;)) SO, that also will play into how much RAM you need. However, if you are running a 64 bit system, I would go no less than 8. Once you start mixing alot of tracks, adding effects and running plugs, it will start hitting your system hard.

I am not super into midi, yet. I plan to work alot more with it very soon, HOWEVER, I have a 66 key controller, and REALLY wish it was an 88. especially since piano was a main purpose for having it and i at times run into key limitations. However, if you want mostly piano, semi weighted or weighted keys are best. Possibly consider a weighted key controller for piano and strings and a smaller non weighted key controller for drums and bass or whatever else you might like. However, if you can't afford that, or dont want to go that route, and plan to do drums, I would do non-weighted or semi-weighted at the most. Weighted keys and drums can get tough, especially for faster stuff.

I know this is kind of a novel, but I hope it helps! Let us know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Nice setup. Personally I would made a custom made computer since it's very upgrade-friendly. And a nice pc it's importent for working with more tracks and plug-ins, as well as for the latency. But I really wouldn't spend the money on the Steinberg interface. For instance, you can buy Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. They have so awesome and clean preamps (8) and you can later expand to 2 SPDIF inputs as well as 8 ADAT inputs. So total of 18 simeltanous inputs!

For the pc building, you would make sure you choose a good cpu (The best AMD cpu are very reasonable price, and upgrade the stock cooling system!), a good motherboard without included graphiccard and with Firewire! Other then that at least 2 internal harddisk (1 for system and DAW and 1 as recording path). A cheap graphic card that supports two simeltanous monitors. I like the idea of 2 x 32"! You should experiment if it should be over eachoter or next to eachother. The os should be W7 64bit! and buy 8/12/16 gb of ram! It will save you for a lot of expanding costs later. Just make sure you replace the stock fans in the cabinet with something more silent. My computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner!

Other then that is a very nice setup! If you cannot afford everything, you should either exclude the Big Knob or Cubase controller. Later I really want to upgrade to a 8 channel control surface with motorized faders, and lid pots.
It depends slightly on what you want to record and/or mix/master.

Good luck! Let us know how it worked and post pictures! :D

By the way, instead of multicable, you should buy single cables if that's cheaper. Gives you much more freedom, maybe strips them if you're gonna use 8 together.. but NOT to tight, it will loose it's signal.

I'm not really concerned with the PC honestly. I was planning on running 64bit OS as well as purchasing the one of the best Intel processors out when I build the computer [i7 currently i guess] and I was planning on 4G ram at minimum, so 8G will probably be the route I'll go..

I'm mostly concerned about the MIDI keyboard [since there are soo many options and they can get expensive in a hurry], the Yamaha monitors, and the Steinberg interface as being good choices... I really like cubase as a software, so I figured considering steinberg's hardware wouldnt be a bad idea. Do a lot of people use the Steinberg Firewire interface and controller?

I will look into the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.. Do alot of people use this then?

Really nice! Intel is the best and most stabile, but I if you want to save some money on the cpu you can go for a nice AMD. However, sounds like a plan! The Steinberg controller is optimalized for Cubase, so won't be bad;) I think you should make up with yourself what kind of midi keyboard you want, since it is so many models. How many keys and weightend, etc.. The Yamaha monitors should be nice.

For the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I use this, because it's Focusrite and I couldn't afford anything else. It's a very pro look and very low latency. Good pre-amps (what Focusrite is known for) and a very nice DI box for instruments. Nice feeling for this product.

just bank it, when you've put it all together and start playing you WILL need something, buy it then. IMO get good cables not snake oil ones, get a power conditioner if ]you have noisy power, get the Big Knob when you have multiple sources or multiple monitors to control.

I guarantee every studio has some rack space filled with regret buys... everything you buy should earn it's keep.

just bank it, when you've put it all together and start playing you WILL need something, buy it then. IMO get good cables not snake oil ones, get a power conditioner if ]you have noisy power, get the Big Knob when you have multiple sources or multiple monitors to control.

I guarantee every studio has some rack space filled with regret buys... everything you buy should earn it's keep.

Not sure what you mean by " get good cables not snake oil ones"... Mogami cables are good, no? Are you suggesting every cable should be individual rather than in a snake?

Cost is not really an object as long as the equipment is quality, and useful [within reason obviously]. I was actually planning to use the big knob for not only the Yamahas, but other random speakers like a cheap sony stereo system or something to check the mix on a "cheap" set of speakers too.

I myself don't know how I got along without a monitor controller (Big Knob). The ability to route signal to 'whatever' is a huge deal. Not to mention that one button enables me to listen to my internet computer through any of the monitors. Plus I like to disable/enable my subwoofer with any of my monitors. And it makes headphone monitoring and talkback friggen easy. If I knew what I do now, then, I would have purchased it earlier. But, this is based on the need for such. I didn't need it until I had multiple monitors, and was needing talkback with multiple headphone mixes.

IMO, good cables for recording are ones that transfer signal. I have found no difference between a $8 3' TRS cable, and a $30 high end version. Yes, the cable may last longer and look cooler, but it really seems to make no difference in sound quality. Not at line level. Speaker cable on the other hand....

IMO, good cables for recording are ones that transfer signal. I have found no difference between a $8 3' TRS cable, and a $30 high end version. Yes, the cable may last longer and look cooler, but it really seems to make no difference in sound quality. Not at line level. Speaker cable on the other hand....

Unless maybe if you live of the surface of the sun where you are constantly get electo-magnetic surges through your house and the nicer cables shield better against that?

But in all seriousness, I also have not heard any difference.

I have a dozen or so of CBI cables with neutrik connectors on them, and they seem to work well.. ?

and by the nature of how a mic cable is designed, any interference is canceled out by the difference amplifier in the preamp..

I meant "snaikoil" to mean overpriced cables that have dubious claims of improving sound quality, as others have said get "good" cables just not 300$ ones. I agree with Jimmy, if you are intending to control multiple speakers or inputs then the Big Knob is a very cool toy - I have one too :)

Back