Studio Floors?

JohnnyMan

Please forgive me if this is a question answered many times before:

Why do studios use wood flooring?

I am about to build a studio in my basement. It is totally unfinished so I have nothing but a clean slate to work with. As far as flooring goes, my wife suggested hard wood floors because she really likes the look of them. I always thought that wood floors would be very reverberant and something I would try to avoid yet when I see pictures of professional studios and control rooms, I often see wood floors.

Why use wood flooring when you are usually bending over backwards to eliminate reflective surfaces, not create them?

Thanks,

John

A wood floor in your basement will be no more reverberant than the concrete that's probably already there.

HangDawg said:
A wood floor in your basement will be no more reverberant than the concrete that's probably already there.

My intention was to lay padding and then carpet (probably berber) on top of that.

Generally, controlling early reflections and flutter echo tend to make most rooms quite dead sounding, but without that the room imparts peculiar effects to all sounds generated inside; to minimise that, we put up absorption on one of each pair of parallel surfaces; in the case of walls, it's better to do alternating patches of absorbent on opposite sides, so that each pair of parallel walls has absorbent on one wall but its opposing section has none; this keeps flutter echo down, while NOT deadening the room too much.

This practice wouldn't be practical for floors, since the absorbent doesn't appreciate being walked on; so we usually deaden the ceiling to control flutter and early reflections; this means that if we also deaden the floor (like with carpet) the room has a good chance of becoming TOO absorbent, especially at higher frequencies.

We could conceivably deaden the floor with carpet, but there are two main problems with that; one, carpet is crappy for wideband absorption, only affecting top end to any degree. Two, mics tend to be placed in most cases closer to the ceiling than to the floor (unless your ceilings are 16 feet tall) so using absorbent in the ceiling kills any early reflections that would otherwise get back into the mic and cause phase cancellations, usually referred to as comb filtering.

Hope that helped... Steve

Steve, thank you for the detailed explanation. I have been reading threads here on studio design and construction (But I definitely need to do more research!!!!). I have already visited John Sayer's site and found it very helpful. I have also seen book suggestions that I hope to explore shortly.

I would like to employ the non-parallel-walls construction as much as what would be aesthetically acceptable. From the current layout of plumbing, HVAC, electrical, etc. that exists downstairs, my ceiling design and insulation is going to be a trouble area (i.e. all of it is now currently suspended from the ceiling).

What is the best way of concealing all of the above yet designing an efficient way to access it if the need arises?

Also what types of ceiling material are recommended if I decide to make the floor the reflective surface? I, too, enjoy the look of hardwood floors.

John,

> Why do studios use wood flooring? <

The following is from an exchange that took place in the rec.audio.pro newsgroup in May, 2003.

--Ethan

==============

Bill Ruys asked: Why it is recommended to have bare (un-carpeted) floors in the studio? One web site I visited mentioned that a bare floor was a prerequisite for the room design with diffusors and absorbers on the ceiling, but didn't say why. I'm trying to understand the principal, rather than following blindly.

Paul Stamler: Carpet typically absorbs high frequencies and some midrange, but does nothing for bass and lower midrange. Using carpet as an acoustic treatment, in most rooms, results in a room that is dull and boomy. Most of the time you need a thicker absorber such as 4-inch or, better, 6-inch fiberglass, or acoustic tile, and you can't walk around on either of those. Hence the general recommendation that you avoid carpet on the floor and use broadband absorbers elsewhere.

Lee Liebner: the human ear is accustomed to determining spatial references from reflections off of side walls and floor, and a low ceiling would only confuse the brain with more early reflections it doesn't need. Everywhere you go, the floor is always the same distance away from you, so it's a reference that your brain can always relate to.

John Noll: Reasons for having wood floors: they look good, equipment can be rolled easily, spills can be cleaned up easily, provide a bright sound if needed, sound can be deadened with area rugs.

Ethan Winer: In a studio room, versus a control room, a reflective floor is a great way to get a nice sense of ambience when recording acoustic instruments. Notice I said reflective, not wood, since linoleum and other materials are less expensive than wood yet sound the same. When you record an acoustic guitar or clarinet or whatever, slight reflections off the floor give the illusion of "being right there in the room" on the recording. It's more difficult to use a ceiling for ambience - especially in a typical home studio with low ceilings - because the mikes are too close to the ceiling when miking from above. And that proximity creates comb filtering which can yield a hollow sound. So with a hard floor surface you can get ambience, and with full absorption on the ceiling you can put the mike above the instrument, very close to the ceiling, without getting comb filtering.

Dave Wallingford: I've always preferred wood floors for a few reasons: 1) It's easier to move stuff around, 2) You can always get area rugs if you need them, And the main reason: 3) Pianos sound like crap on carpet.

I was told by almost all contractors I got estimates from (around 10 to be exact) that having a wood floor in a basement wasn't a good idea due to moisture concerns. I really liked the way wood looked so upon some recommendations I decided to go with laminated floor (Pergo). You can install foam underlayment along with a moisture barrier that Pergo offers.

Thank you Ethan and Shaz.

I am concerned about moisture. I live in the greater Atlanta area and I have a dehumidifier running downstairs almost year round (it's there in the winter [Nov-Feb] but rarely comes on then).

Maybe another surface other than wood maybe best suited for my studio. I am still researching home studio design but I expect that I will have some sort of isolation booth (that can be made into a large closet when I decide to move) and the control room will also double as the “band” room.

I’ve been looking at other people’s studios and some of them are just gorgeous. In particular my wife and I really liked this one http://www.therecordinghouse.com/Studio.html.

My initial intention was to take ½ the downstairs for the studio but now after looking at The Recording House, she’s saying take it all. :D :D :D

Here are a couple of pictures of where I initially thought I’d build the studio. Scroll down to where I have the two pictures posted.
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=971725#post971725

As you can see I have a blank canvas to create my play area. :)

You can see all the ducting and plumbing I must deal with.

John,

> As you can see I have a blank canvas <

If you get EQ magazine, see the September 2004 issue for an article I wrote with Wes Lachot detailing the size and shape of a basement studio. If you don't get EQ that article is also on my company's site. HERE is a direct link.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
John,

> As you can see I have a blank canvas <

If you get EQ magazine, see the September 2004 issue for an article I wrote with Wes Lachot detailing the size and shape of a basement studio. If you don't get EQ that article is also on my company's site. HERE is a direct link.

--Ethan
Ethan,

Thank you very much for the link!! I was intrigued from the first paragraph. This is precisely what I need.

I had been leaning more in the direction of one big room to share as a control room and “band” room for exactly the reasons you write of (one-person band most of the time). But I do expect to have other musicians come in on a somewhat regular basis. I was also leaning in the direction of having an isolation booth (small room within the bigger room) for vocals and acoustic guitar recording. Do you think the one room concept is the better idea for a home studio or do you think an iso booth would be workable?

The room dimensions are as they are because of room modes. You did mention that they are based around adhering to having an 8-foot high ceiling. I can definitely do that but I may have a bigger space to work with length and width wise. Will that significantly affect the room modes?

Thanks again. I look forward to reading your other articles.

John,

> or do you think an iso booth would be workable? <

You don't want to put a booth inside the main room as that will alter the dimensions.

> I may have a bigger space to work with length and width wise. Will that significantly affect the room modes? <

Yes, build it as shown, or scaled a little to match a slightly different ceiling height. If you want a booth, build it outside the room.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
John,

> or do you think an iso booth would be workable? <

You don't want to put a booth inside the main room as that will alter the dimensions.

> I may have a bigger space to work with length and width wise. Will that significantly affect the room modes? <

Yes, build it as shown, or scaled a little to match a slightly different ceiling height. If you want a booth, build it outside the room.

--Ethan

Thank you for your help Ethan.

Ethan and knightfly,

What if you already have a carpeted floor in a spare bedroom studio? Would it still be wise to place absorbers on the ceiling?
I mainly just record acoustic guitar while sitting down with a mic pointing at the 12th fret. The chair is sitting on a plastic carpet protector, which is of course is flat on the carpet itself. The ceiling is sprayed on "cottage cheese" texture. My recordings are getting some weird phasing sounds...I'm wondering if this may be due to flutter echoes between the ceiling and the plastic carpet protector?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Terry

Terry,

> My recordings are getting some weird phasing sounds...I'm wondering if this may be due to flutter echoes between the ceiling and the plastic carpet protector? <

Could be. Why don't you try hanging a blanket high above the guitar - get some friends to hold it for a few minutes while you record - and see if the problem clears up. Note that comb filtering can also occur off nearby walls. My recent article Recording Spaces in EQ magazine addresses this very issue, and this article is now on my company's web site.

--Ethan

Back