Studio Flooring

Hard floor of any material with area rugs for limited damping - if necessary. Big pro rooms are all hardwood with a carpet or two under the drum kit and where the players stand. I'm talking big, 30x50 and such. A "home" studio with tight walls and ceiling wants a bit more carpet for taming highs.

lou

I'm realizing that the spare rooms in the house I just bought are too small. Fortunately, I have LAND. Is there a climate controllable outbuilding that is really good for a studio? How about this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Or...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I'm looking for a minimum 11.5 ft by 18.75 ft, with at least a 7.167 ft ceiling. Then I can add platforms and cabinets until I get the whole golden ratio thing going on. Does that sound about right?

Can I get by with a smaller room if I'm using an ekit?

Last edited:
I'm using a spare bedroom, but will get a rug for under the throne (seems a drum throne is appropriate) so I don't crush the fitted carpet.

Then I can add platforms and cabinets until I get the whole golden ratio thing going on. Does that sound about right?

No. Forget the "golden ratio" thing and just build the largest room you can afford. Yea, room modes and stuff are concerns, but in small rooms, forget it. By the time you add treatment to get the room response as flat as possible, you'll use up a chunk of space. Also, allow as much height to the room as you can afford, as low ceilings require mucho absorption to kill comb filtering, which lowers the ceiling even more. Figure on 9 foot high as a minimum. Preferably 10 or more feet. Also, do NOT make your room SQUARE or the room dimensions multiples of any integer, such as 12x16x8. Anyway, that's my best NON EXPERT advice. :)

I used a hard wood laminate flooring in both the control room and tracking room with thick area rugs under the drum kit, bass rig, keyboards and guitar amps, and one in the control room as well. It was installed over concrete sub floor with the recommended foam underlayment...it works great and looks just like real hardwood.

A rule of thumb I have read lately, but cannot personally vouch for...

Ceiling and floor should have opposite reflectance. If you have a highly-reflective ceiling, use a less reflective floor. And vice-versa.

Curious. How does laminate work out for studio flooring? Going strictly off my experience with cheap paneling in apartments, I would think you would need some mass(like solid wood) to eliminate the boxy sound? Maybe the foam underlayment solves that problem??? Any experts care to weigh in on this one?

Back