studio flooring option

zook250

hi guys. i have a basement studio that has carpet flooring and underpad in the recording room. i have installed laminate flooring throughout my basement and also in the control room. i happen to have about 7 boxes left over, so i am contemplating installing a section in the recording room. i am very happy with the recordings that i am getting from this room and wonder if this would be a good idea or not? i was thinking that i may be able to get some different drum recordings etc, if i were to place them on a reflective type flooring rather than on carpet.

as far as drums go is there any preferences to go with reflective flooring or carpet for recording?

just want to hear some others opinions before i go cutting up the carpet.

thanks

Go for it, you can always put a rug over it if you end up not liking the reflective sound.

i, personally, hate the sound of laminate flooring. its harsh as hell, like somebody is snapping in your ears.

*hijack*

How do you go about protecting the floor. Our drummer hits hard and plays on a carpet (albeit not rubber-backed, but it is heavily duct taped to the floor for movement) but his kick-drum legs dig through the carpet and leave nasty gouges (SP?) in the floor.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Laminate flooring tends to reflect in an unnatural way, unless it's very thick and glued together. Even then it's nowhere near as warm as true wood.

Over here in the states, you can by "Bruce" oak flooring planks for about $3.55 a square foot, which is only slightly more than what a quality laminate flooring costs.

Cheap laminate flooring not only sound bad, but it wears out quickly. Pergo, for example, is gorgeous going down, but spill some coffee on a seam and it's toast very quickly.

BTW, if you can operate a table saw, you can make your own flooring significantly cheaper if you're willing to do some legwork. Find yourself a lumber yard (not home depot, lowes, etc) that sells hardwoods as well as construction materials. You can buy "rough" boards of almost any wood, for a very reasonable price because there hasn't been any finishing. Using a pair of saw blades with a washer or two between, you rip a tongue on one board edge, and use one blade to make a notch on the other edge. Tongue and groove :)

You can also rent machines that do this and run all your boards through in an afternoon, or two. That's a doable option as well.

Once the rough boards are down, rent an armidillo sander and sand the whole flooring like you would any hardwood floor, stain then polyurethane to your tastes. Then you ahve a cheap floor. Typically you can do this for about $1.50 a square foot, plus your labor.

By doing this, you can use any wood you want. Oak, walnut, cherry, beech (one of my favorites).

Back