Studio expansion

tmj

kind of random question here, but i'm curious before I start shopping around.

I'm recording 8 channels thru a firepod right now. 8 xlr's in, 1 firewire out to the PC.

Suppose I wanted to expand my options before sending the signal to PC....

How would I use an outboard compressor or EQ on the signal, before it even hits the PC. The firepod has "direct outs".... I'm guessing that is AFTER the preamp, but before the firewire send to PC?

Also, could I route my signals thru a mixer before the Firepod? I was considering getting an 8 channel mixer so that I could run each channel into the mixer, use a direct out on each channel and send that into the 8 firepod channels. Is there anything wrong with sending a signal thru 2 preamps at once? I was thinking about trying this simply so that I could control levels and EQ on the mixer more easily, and from another 10 or 15 ft away from my computer. I know once they are recorded, I cant change levels or EQ on the mixer, only the PC, but it would just feel so much better to work with an actual mixer, but route it thru the firepod......

of course I could upgrade to a firewire interface that HAS mixer-like controls built in, but I think I want to stick with my firepod for now, and I know I could get a basic mixer for really cheap.

Any thoughts?

well, i bought the alesis multimix16 firewire. now that i have it and use it, i wish i just got the presonus firepod, just due to the fact that there is no bypass on the eq, which tends to be shitty every now and then, but then agian, i may just be stupid and buy the firepod also, and then i can decide what to do for each recording. you know? cause i like to spend money on shit hahaha

Back