Studio Equipment

artCROSS

hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted, but I'm in need of a little help. I tried posting this a while ago, but never got a straight response...everyone just kept telling me it was a bad idea...but here goes...

If i wanted to start a commercial studio, what equipment would you recommend? I want to be able to record at least 24 tracks at once. I want some really nice clean pres, and some with color. I want recommendations for mics, including OH, toms, bass drum, guitar cabs, bass cabs, vocal mic(s), acoustic mics, etc. (and remember, i'd like to record instruments simultaneously, think 2 guitars, a bass, a drummer, and a keyboardist) I've already decided to use my powermac running logic, so an interface would be nice. Also, a console/board if I need one.

To recap, I need recommendations on ALL mics (SDC, LDC, Dynamics, and Ribbon), ALL pres (I don't need 24 channels of great pres, but 2 really clean ones and a few colored would be great), a digital interface and a board. ooh, and I almost forgot, MONITORS! Budget: 50k. I know what you're thinking, but please save it. Please don't post if you're not recommending equipment, I've heard it all before. If someone could just recommend equipment and not give me advice (although it is greatly appreciated, and I know you're only trying to help), it would be great. Think of this as a hypothetical situation, and if you had 50k to blow on studio equipment, what would you spend it on.

Also, don't worry about construction. Right now, it's just equipment. And thank you all so much for your help, I really do appreciate it. I'm going to be posting a similar post about PA equipment/Club equipment later, but for now, i'm going to focus on studio. and to those that are interested, I'm personally not starting a studio (though I'd like to one day), just seeing what's the best of the best for the budget, sorta like a school project. thanks again everyone.

sweetwater.com lists several full high-end-studio-in-a-box type packages in their catalog (I think the top one goes for $80K).
Get them to send you a catalog...

(At the very least it was worth it to point out to my wife that my few thousand I spent was nothing compared to what I could be drooling over, so there was no haggling over budget!)

artCROSS said:
Budget: 50k. I know what you're thinking, but please save it. Please don't post if you're not recommending equipment, I've heard it all before. If someone could just recommend equipment and not give me advice (although it is greatly appreciated, and I know you're only trying to help), it would be great. Think of this as a hypothetical situation, and if you had 50k to blow on studio equipment, what would you spend it on.

Also, don't worry about construction. Right now, it's just equipment.

PRO TOOLS AND BIG HUGE PC SETUP...
DLP projector and screen for monitoring and watching movies $20,000

love my Shure SM7 mic.
its on everybodys list...just never #1........ $350
Sans Amp- little DI with some tone too.......$150
Joe Meek- $1,000
Great River- $1200

Standard Stratocaster- $800
Standard LesPaul- $2200
Precision Bass- $800

$10,000 on DynAudio Air Monitors..a couple sets w/stands :p
Some B&W 802's... $10,000
Radio Shack Optimus 7's $10.00
Blue Sky Pro One $3000

A 7day/24hr On-Call Retainer for a well versed & starving Mixing Engineer and Mastering Engineer...??? :D

sht i'm almost broke already!!

Thanks for all the replies! you've all been real helpful, especially that article you posted coolcat. I'm gonna read all this over and let it sink in, then post any questions. Thanks again all.

Define for us "24 tracks at one".

If you want to record 24 tape tracks (or whatever media) you need either direct outs *or* a 24 buss mixer.

Years ago I owned a pro studio (several, actually), and I never ran into a situation where eight busses weren't enough. Not once.

I'm saying this, even though you specifically stated you didn't want this kind of advice, because if you agree with my thoughts, you're mixing console costs radically go down.

Back