Studio Doors

scuppari

OK... I've got my basement studio 85% completed and I need ideas for soundproof doors as well as a window between my sound and control rooms.

DOOR - I'm using a single 2x6" wall with staggered 2x4 studs instead of a double-wall system. The wall plus blown insulation yields an STC in excess of 60+ so I need a door to match. Do I need a custom studio door or will a steel exterior door suffice?

WINDOW - I'm closing a rough-opening for a door between rooms and adding additional framing to accomodiate a window. Again, STC is over 60... can I build a window that reaches this STC or should I buy a custom-window?

Please help!

I doubt that your STC is really over 60 with just a staggered stud arrangement. Usually they are more like STC 47 or so. STC 60+ would generally imply masonry type construction.

Regarding the door, there are a few choices. Standard steel doors are usually hollow, and filled with foam, thus are not good performers in terms of the 'mass rule'. Solid core wood doors are somewhere around STC 30-35...and this assumes very good seals (the seals are vitally important). You'll get better performance by taking two doors and gluing them together with a layer of neoprene (or sheetblock) in between. Best performance will be had with a pair of doors that open on opposite sides, effectively forming an airlock. The tough part is that it's tough to close a well sealing door on an airtight small enclosure. To get around this problem you can use sound proofing attachments from overly ($150 per door); these are wipers that drop down and seal the bottom of the door once the door is closed. With solid core doors, and this type of construction, I'd guess at an STC of 40-45 for the door area alone.

For the window....good luck, best bet is to make it as small as you can possibly get away with. You'll need two different thicknesses of glass as well. No (affordable) window will get to STC 60, so your best bet is to minimize the damage by keeping it small.

Hope this helps...

Kris

Thanks for the feedback... The STC in the walls was achieved by using the staggered studs along w/ blown-in CELBAR insulation. The celbar website states that 2 1/2" of celbar yields STC of 60 in this application. I'm using 5 1/2" in wall cavity and 11 1/2" in between ceiling joists. That's how I figured the 60+ rating.

I've seen true studio doors yielding STC 61 but they cost $4700 (US) plus freight. The STC 55 window (36"x36") runs $1,700 plus freight. I've only found one vendor in the Atlanta, GA area that carries these products, so I'm not sure if I'm getting ripped off.

But again, can/should I build a window with the equivalent STC for under $1,700?

Windows

scuppari

I did a 4' by 8' in one studio I owned. What I did was to call up several glass replacement companies in the area and found out what studios they had suoplied glass for.

I then went to these studios and inquired about the quality of workmanship and how well it worked.

In Tampa, Fl., where I live, I choose the Glass Doctor (car windows, etc.) to do the job because they had done several for some good studios in the area. What they did was produce a one inch thick unit of two 3/16" pieces of glass with - therforethe space between them vacumn sealed. No air therefore no sound can pass.

Works great. Paid about $480 for each glass unit. so my total bill was just under a thousand.

Hope this helps.

David artis
:D :D :D From Florida

Has anyone ever heard of, or used, SOUNDGUARD WINDOWS & DOORS (specific brand built in Florida)? The price of a STC 61 door is 1/4 the price of another brand... is it too good to be true? How can I verify the manufacture's claim of the 61 STC rating?

I'ev got yoour soundproof solution

soundproof drywall ...Yes it does exist!
www.quietrockonline.com
This is the best overall solution!
the stuff is soundproof with just one sheet Comparable to over eight sheets of drywall.
this stuff has some special threads or something that convert sound to heat then there is a metal sheet laminated between the qypsum to stop the heat.
THX certified
check out the specs @ www.quietrockonline.com and don't forget to mention supertech I'm gonna need more!!!
thanks for the info on the doors too.

rock on

Back