Studio Core/Heart?

AudioClueless

Hello Everyone!

I'm still on a quest trying to find out some more information. I have been using the search features and it has been very helpful.

I am not purchasing anything yet as I am still trying to find more info on many many things.

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was about the studio core. I am interested in recording R&B, Pop, Hip Hop, Simple Jazz etc....

Would it be better to build the studio around a PRO TOOLS set up, or a TASCAM MX2424?

I realize everyone has their preferences so any and all opinions are appreciated. I am still in the learning process so any pros and cons to either set up would be great.

I have been hearing ALOT about the PRO TOOLS set ups, but the MX2424 seems like a good piece to build around as well. Are there better options?

Thanks again everyone....Greatly appreciated!

Protools is a very nice system, a friend of mine owns a private, fairly large (64 channels?) protools setup for his own recording projects. I've played with it extensively and I can say if you like digital recording, you will not be disappointed.

However, you will also be very poor. :D

I've also used the MX2424 a few times, and based on my being "old fashioned" I actually prefer hardware type recorders over "virtual" software type systems. You can of course control protools with their master controller with eight faders, and thats all fine, but I really am more comfortable with external recorders, external mixers, and a PC to run the MIDI, SMTPE et al. This is just a preference of mine, and why my studio is the way it is.

To properly choose between the two you need to find a retailer that has both in stock, and on display, and go through the features/functions/benefits and the ergonomics of each. Its the only way to buy. Like a test drive for a car :)

Though if you purchase the MX, do know that you will need a mixer of some kind... whereas protools you purchase A/D and D/A converters, hook it all up, and record AND mix into the computer.

Thank you very much for the reply. It is often overwhelming when dealing with this sort of thing. There are some many things to consider before buying any single piece of gear. Unfortunately there are also many MANY options that will take you on a different path, than the one you desire.

I definately want to compare many different recorders against eachother. For now, I suppose I am only seeking out which systems should be compared. For instance if a friend of mine wanted to buy a "really nice pro sounding guitar" and said he was going to test out some Strats, Les Pauls and Kramers. I would try and convice to still test them out, but maybe throw a PRS in there, instead of the Kramer.

Both of the systems appeal greatly to me. But I can see how they are almost apples to oranges. Both are digital, but the way they operate differs greatly between them. How would you compare the sound quality between them? Does one sound noticably warmer than the other? Is there a big diference in overall quality? Is there another route that I may have ignored?

Thanks again in advance for all replies!

PS: Is this the best forum to be placing this on?

if MIDI's not the main focus... take a look at Samplitude. you can download it free for a trial period and use the built in soundcard.

Samplitude won't break the bank and isn't proprietary like Pro-Tools and doesn't take a back seat in quality to any but the highest-end systems.

Another "pry it from my cold, dead fingers" Samplitude fan here - been using it since 3 full versions ago. Nobody (including ProStools) comes close in my book.

also, if you wait til version 7.2 hits the streets, there is reportedly going to be much fuller MIDI implementation.

If you go hard disk recorder instead, the MX2424 has been reported by serious Nashville types to be as close to "analog" (in a good way) as any they've tried. Still, a 'puter with Samp is cheaper and as clean, given decent audio hardware... Steve

Thanks everyone!

Like I said I plan on getting out and comparing some different things. Right now I am just trying to find out some of the better options to compare.

I know there are MANY things to consider when putting together a decent little studio. However, I thought I'd start researching right at the source and figure out what I was going to record it all on!
Thanks again everyone...all replies welcome!

I was on the SAMPLITUDE site and I was browsing a bit.....

Does anyone have any history or experience with Sequoia? I was thinking of emailing them and getting a little bit more info.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

Get Samplitude Pro 7. It is the absolute shit!! In a good way!! It made me believe I might be able to get some decent sound stuff by mixing in the box. Anyway, for me it is a big step up from Cool Edit Pro 2.0

Beez

Back