Studio Building

Dan Merrill

I'm finally living up to the title of this forum- today the first walls went up on mine..

And so the questions begin:

The exterior walls are 2x6 and will have resilient channel/ drywall inside. Is there an acoustic benefit to using owens corning 703 insulation in the walls as opposed to the standard R19 thermal stuff?

I was sure there would be until I read last night in my acoustic bible "How to build a small budget recording studio" by F. Alton Everest and Mike Shea, published by Tab Books Inc. the following:

" the effectiveness of the filler insulation depends on thickness, but is independent of density. Therefore, the cheaper household thermal tye of insulation is quite adequate for filing studio walls".

This statement threw me for a loop. I figured the 703 would be a better broadband absorber of any frequencies that happen to be migrating thru the walls. Anyone care to comment?

DAN

The R19 will do fine - you are only trying to stop resonance within the cavity. 703 is more effective on a wall surface to stop reflections.

cheers
john

Hello Dan, congrats on the building start. Did you lay a "cornerstone"?:D Can't wait to do the same.
Hello John, say, I was over at RECORDING ENGINEERS studio last night and it blew my mind. He used 4" 703 panels to fully engulf the front end of the control room even the sides, up to the engineers position. Kind of like LEDE.(no diffusers yet) From the console on back, it was splayed sheetrook walls. Sounded fantastic. I was wondering though. He contact cemented the panels to the walls after wrapping them in fabric. I thought I read it was better to lift it of the wall slightly. Is that right? IF so, now I see the reason for frames, which then leads to other questions. Later. I learned one thing. Its one thing to talk acoustics, its a whole different animal hearing it. Too cool.
Thanks and good luck with the building Dan.Keep us posted. I'll be watching real close:D And watch those fingaz!!
fitz:)

Fitz, no cornerstone ;-) And the fingers are safe- I'm mainly watching til it gets to the interior.

The 703 at 4" is a brick wall down to 125hz. You'd lower that frequency further by lifting it but it depends what your needs and space are.

John, can i assume your advise goes for the floating floor cavity as well?

John, can i assume your advise goes for the floating floor cavity as well?

sortta - remember the floor is different cos drums and amps etc are sitting on the floor so I'd go heavier under a floating floor to stop the floor panels resonating as opposed to just the air in the cavity.

cheers
John

Hello Dan, say, I started building a floating room awile back. Only got the floating floor
done. I built mine in 5' x 12' modules, with 2 x 6 framing, 1/2" ply on the bottom, then glued 3/4"Thick neoprene strips 2"w x 6" at 18" o.c. along the perimeter and joist line of each module. I then layed them on the existing concrete floor and lined them up to the proper location and bolted them togeather with 3/8 machine bolts. I lined the cavitys with a moisture barrier(3 mill poly sheeting) and then filled them with kiln dried sand. Laid another moisture barrier on top, after leveling the sand with the top of the frame, and screwed down 3/4" 5' x 12' MDF Panels to match the frame modules. I was going to install oak strip flooring, but never got that far.(Had to dismantle them) Anyway, we did play drums on them and without having finished the studio, I had no way of telling how it ultimately worked. Sounded solid though. I don't know if anyone here would recommend this, but thats what I did. Sounded reasonable to me. I was going to float walls with a continous 1/2" neoprene plate under the walls, set into a continuous custombuilt iso fastening plate on the floor. Alas, never finished it.
:rolleyes: One of these days, I'll drag them out of storage and finish.:D
fitz

Hi Alex, I cussed loudly.:D It wasn't easy. Mostly scooped it. Then used a shop vac. I was stupid for building them while I was in a rental. I figured since they were modules, I could dismantle them if need be. I'll use them sooner or later. One of the highlights of the floor, was the fact they interfaced with the legs of my custom console. The legs are cable chases, that died into special hidden welded steel brackets, bolted into cable chases in the floor. No feet on the legs. Looked way cool. Sill have and use the console right now. I use a small platform under the console now, to fasten the legs to. Works great. Just waiting now to get word on a house that I have an offer on. Sooner or later.
Can't wait.
fitz:D

Back