Studio Arrangement Help!

MikeDMusic

Alright so this is the final design of my studio. I understand that it's far too small and my modes will be a little wierd and all that jazz. It's the best I could get. So now I have to maximize my space and get it sounding as good as possible. If anybody is up to it. I need to figure out where to put my desk/monitors...possibly with the desk facing the wall with the monitors facing into the room in the little nook up towards the north wall(s)? I'm not positive so I really need somebody's help on this. Then moving on from there I need to figure out where my acoustic treatments need to be to cover my initial reflections. And obviously I'll need bass traps in the corners. How would I arrange the bass traps in the nook where I want to stick the desk and monitors? Also because the room is so f***ing small i realize that i'll need a combination of high and mid frequency absorbers and diffusers to try and open up the sound of the room. BUT I have no idea what configuration to put them in. Any suggestions guys...I'm lost. Thanks.

Mike

Attachments

• StudiodesignREAL.pdf
    19.2 KB · Views: 144
Mike,

> I need to figure out where to put my desk/monitors <

Set up so you're facing the South wall at the bottom. For the complete story see THIS article called, not coincidentally, How to set up a room.

--Ethan

Cool thanks a lot ethan. Would I set up there because then the monitors are facing the nook on the north wall. Because the space between those two walls is the furthest distance in the room? But then what's the difference between doing that and putting my monitors in the nook on the north wall? The wall would still be the same distance away from the monitors wouldn't it? I'm only asking again because this isn't exactly a textbook situation since my room isn't perfectly rectangular. I feel like the layout of the room would work better if I could stick my desk in the nook in the wall and have the rest of the room as live space...it just makes it seem like a more efficient use of the space. But if it really won't be a good idea sound wise to set up in the nook then I will definately take your advice. Thanks again Ethan.

Mike

Mike,

> what's the difference between doing that and putting my monitors in the nook on the north wall? <

The difference is if you face south you'll be more symmetrical in the room. Symmetry is important for good imaging and localization.

--Ethan

The only thing is that the desk won't be able to be in the middle of the south wall...there is a door a few feet to the right of the center of the wall (if your standing in the room facing the south wall). So the desk and monitors would have to be on the left side of the wall. Is this still the better option? Also when I'm placing my absorbers in the room I'm ok with how to find my first reflection spots but after I've got those covered how do I figure out how much wall and ceiling space to cover with absorbers. How large should the panels be? Should they be staggered? Things of that nature. Your help is infinitely appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

> the desk won't be able to be in the middle of the south wall <

That's a problem. Symmetry is important, and if you can't do that then you can't do that. I don't know what else to tell you.

> how do I figure out how much wall and ceiling space to cover with absorbers. How large should the panels be? Should they be staggered? Things of that nature. <

My best advice is to read some of the other articles on my company's site. There's a lot of stuff there that will help you get a handle on what you need, such as the series I wrote for EQ magazine.

--Ethan

Great thanks Ethan,
Well that kinda sucks about the symmetry. So it really doesn't matter then where I put my desk and stuff? Does that mean that my stereo balance will always be off no matter what? Well then If it doesn't matter I think I will put my desk in the nook...just because it will open up the performance space the most...Well Thanks again ethan. How can I find your article in EQ magazine? (without actually buying the magazine) Could you send me a link? Thanks a lot.

Mike

Mike,

> How can I find your article in EQ magazine? <

It's all on my company's site, linked under my name below. Click the Acoustics Info tab, then Acoustics Articles.

--Ethan

Thanks man,
ok well howabout this for symetry. I put the desk in the corner between the south and the east wall so the monitors will be facing into a semi symetrical area. Do you think this option will work better than just putting it flat against the south wall and having it be a few feet offset to the east. If I was to arrange my desk in the corner like this would it be a lot more difficult to find my first reflection areas? Finding it on the ceiling won't be hard because I think that I am going to make the entire ceiling absorbant, and the floor will be laminate wood so I will just throw a rug down halfway between myself and the monitors. Thanks again

Mike

Attachments

• StudiodesignREAL1.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 23
Mike,

> Do you think this option will work better than just putting it flat against the south wall <

No, because the corner directly behind you focuses all the reflected sound right back at you - even worse than a flat wall behind you would reflect.

--Ethan

Alright so where would you put the desk in this situation knowing that the desk cannot be centered on the south wall? Thanks again.

Mike

Alright...That's what I was thinking anyway. So in what way will this asymmetry throw off my stereo balance? Like will I hear one side louder than the other...or will certain frequencies be stronger on one side rather than the other? Thanks so much for your help Ethan. It's really great to have somebody like you to consult on stuff like this that is so particular to a given situation.

Mike

I was just reading a few of your articles Ethan and I stumbled onto "building a better bass trap". I was looking at the printable plans after I read the article and was wondering if it made a huge difference whether or not my high and mid frequency absorbers were actually screwed onto the wall. I was planning on building the whole frame with the insulation attached inside and the fabric stretched over the entire thing (front and back) and basically hanging them like picture frames so that I could easily remove them and link them as freestanding structures if I needed to. Also I was wondering if I had the opportunity to use 2" rockwool for my absorbers would that be a better choice? It couldn't hurt could it? Also If I'm trying to completely cover my ceiling with panels (because my ceiling is so low) would I be better off hanging them from the ceiling or screwing them to the ceiling? Or does it not matter? Thanks again.

Mike

Mike,

> So in what way will this asymmetry throw off my stereo balance? Like will I hear one side louder than the other...or will certain frequencies be stronger on one side rather than the other? <

Yes, exactly. Both. And reflections need to be symmetrical (or, better, killed) because they affect what you hear.

> wondering if it made a huge difference whether or not my high and mid frequency absorbers were actually screwed onto the wall. <

No, mount them however you can.

> if I had the opportunity to use 2" rockwool for my absorbers would that be a better choice? <

Sure, though rock wool two inches thick mounted against a wall or ceiling is similar to the same material only one inch thick spaced off the wall one inch. And obviously an air space costs less than more rock wool.

--Ethan

How would you recomend attaching them to the ceiling...just screwing them into one (or two...whatever I end up going with) inch spacers that are screwed into the studs? Alright well I know you know your shit and have probably explored this possibility for desk and monitor placement but I just wanted to check...howabout the desk facing the north wall but halfway between the corner of the nook and half on the shorter part of the wall...check out the attachment and you'll see what I mean...would this setup be any more symmetrical? Thanks again.

Mike

Attachments

• StudiodesignREAL1.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 12
Mike,

> How would you recomend attaching them to the ceiling <

However you can is fine. Long screws with big washers?

> howabout the desk facing the north wall but halfway <

You want as much distance as possible behind you.

--Ethan

so you would sacrifice the symmetry for the distance of the wall opposite the monitors? Even if I could absorb the early reflections really well?

Back