Studio Amps

mojka

I am looking for a smaller amp, preferably a Marshall or Fender, that I can record with my computer. I do not know what approach I should take for miking or levels. I don't want a tinny half ass sound but I don't want to spend a grand. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.

Lots of great guitar tones have been yanked from little
amplifiers. IMO, and 8" speakers is as small as the speaker should get and still get what you want. SM57, right in front, crank the amp as loud as you can stand it. Ive gotten pretty decent tones myself, but I can't stress the importance of experimentation to maximize your specific situation. Fender IMO, makes a better small amp than Marshall.

If all you want to do is record, you might take a look at the J-Station. It just plugs right into your soundcard so there are no micing worrys.

If you want to actually mic and amp, there are tons of choices. However, this sentence troubles me:

"I don't want a tinny half ass sound but I don't want to spend a grand."

You usually get what you pay for. Pro level tube amps are generally over a grand. You can often find used ones under $1000 dollars though, at places like Ebay and Harmony Central. Keep your eyes peeled.

Choices for new amps might be: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Tech 21, Line 6, Peavey Bandit, Marshall Valvestate series. I recommend trying them out. It's good to get ideas by talking to others, but it's even better to do some hard research yourself and pare your options down to two or three amps that you really like. Then ask for opinions on just 2 or three amps. The opinions you get will usually be more insightful that way.

For the money you might also consider a modeling pre-amp, like the POD or J Station. I've had great results recording my POD.

good luck

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

My suggestions:
Marshall DSL combo, around $650, good tone.
The Tech21 combos are excellent and can be mic'ed or run direct.
I heard someome playing a Vox combo at the store the other day that blew my socks off.

Don't get a Valvestate.

Don't go POD or other modeler unless you want a lot of diversity of amps without as much diversity in tone from mic placement and without it being the master of any one particualr tone.

Most importantly, take all the suggestions here to a shop and try the amps for yourself. You can then get a feel for what YOU like and for what you can get for the price.

Too many choices not enough quality!

Good point Lopp about the variety from modelers.

I use a V-Amp and it get's hard to settle on one sound and really tweak it, I seem to spend too much time sorting through bad sounds hoping something pops out to me rather than spending time crafting a unique and quality tone.

I think you need an amp and mic to really personalize your tone and take full control of it. I'm thinking of scrapping the V-amp and finding a Peavey Classic 20 or 30 which sound wonderful.

Back