Studio amplifier

Withneilandi

Hi,

I need to get hold of an amplifier which has 1/4" TRS inputs to power the Kef Calinda speakers I'm using for my analog recording setup (A&H System 8 and Fostex Model 80). What should I avoid? I've heard bad things about Samson amps. Are there any hi-fi amps I could get working with the mixer?

Thanks again! :)

Samson Amps and gear in general

The only thing I can say about Samson is: I own two pieces of Samson Gear: Samson Servo 170 Studio Amp (85 watts with 1/4" inputs) and Samson Mixpad 12 (little mixing board)

I use the Servo 170 everyday, I've had it for about 1 yr and it has never once given me any problems....Even when I go to bed and forget to shut the power down, (oops) When I wake in the morning , it's not even that hot! Mine does the trick for me and I love it.
The Mixpad 12 mixer: I don't currently use it to mix recordings with anymore, but I do use it to run vocals for our band when we rehearse twice a week, I've owned it for about 5 yrs (even bought it used on ebay) and I've never had a problem with it. Works great for me.
I did own an Alesis Studio Amp that I bought new (Before my Samson) and it crapped out about 1 year later for no reason at all. One day I used it, shut it down, turned it on the next day and the clip leds were fully lit and no sound. I currently own other Alesis gear and it's all fine, but I'm kinda pissed about that Amp. It doesn't make any sense how all of the sudden it just broke. Anyway I guess just about any brand CAN be a lemon, but my Samson Gear suits me fine for now.
Cheers,
A

`
`....Even when I go to bed and forget to shut the power down, (oops) When I wake in the morning , it's not even that hot! `A

the heat issue was with tube guitar amps specificly...

the samason amps arent the greatest but still useable.. they've had issues with volume pots in particular....
as to audiofile type amps.... IMO.. thats a great way to go and good deals are only as far away as your local craigslist...

Hi,

I need to get hold of an amplifier which has 1/4" TRS inputs to power the Kef Calinda speakers I'm using for my analog recording setup (A&H System 8 and Fostex Model 80). What should I avoid? I've heard bad things about Samson amps. Are there any hi-fi amps I could get working with the mixer?

Thanks again! :)

What are the ratings of the Calindas... watts, impedance, etc.?

Back