Studio 32 down again!

Tonekat

Well, we haven't had much chance to use our Studio 32 since it came back from the shop (see other thread), but last night we were playing back a track and....out go the lights, and no sound through the monitors!
Looks like it could be the power supply...we're ready to buy something else, I'm thinking Mackie 1604 or (preferably) a small Studiomaster or Soundcraft (used). Any suggestions on a 16 track board? Could go 24 for the right price...

:cool: Allen-Heath, they have direct outs for tape, no direct ins(returns) for tape, although you can use another channel.........

da MUTT

replacing the Studio 32 with a ?

There's the challenge - I need something that I can hook up to my two ADATs with 16 tape outs, and 16 returns.

Mackie 32-8. People talk about Mackie like it's the plague but, I love Mackie and would LOVE to have this board. My friend had a 24-8 and I recorded in his studio with it on numerous occasions. He had two ADAT's hooked up to it.

Chris

I would love to work on a Mackie 32-8, or even a 24-8, but I don't think I can get my bass player/singer to spend that much. (The Studio 32 in question is hers, we own components separately) We might just pick up another Studio 32 and take it from there.

Well, it depends, ours seems to be a lemon, but are they all that way? Eventually, we'd like to upgrade the studio, but I'm not sure what direction to take that in now, with Alesis slowly disappearing from the scene.

Mine has been quite reliable for several years now- the only problem I have is an intermittent mic preamp gain pot on one channel. Hasn't been worth getting it fixed, because I retired the 32 to live-rack use when I got my other board for the studio.

There has to be some local tech who can check out this power supply problem for you. Since the board has already been in for service, it could be as simple a problem as an improperly connected power supply connector: seat it properly and the thing comes back to life. When they had it open before, they probaly had to disconnect the supply to get access to the rest of the guts. This is not an uncommon problem with service places...

Hell, I'd take it back to the shop and tell them exactly that- they didn't fix the problem properly, and fixing the fix should be gratis. Don't scrap it yet: this fix should be quick, and free.

It's baaaack! In the shop!

OK, brought it to the tech place today, the guy who received it was really good, I didn't have to fill out a thing after he saw the bill for the first fix. They'll call me in a couple days.
Maybe I should pull out my TEAC 4 track reel to reel and it's 4 channel hi impedance mixing board!

It's baaaack! In the shop!

OK, brought it to the tech place today, the guy who received it was really good, I didn't have to fill out a thing after he saw the bill for the first fix. They'll call me in a couple days.

and it goes on....and on....

OK, today spoke to the repair shop, the tech says it's scheduled to be looked at tom'w, but so far it looks like different components failed this time.
On the bright side, he thought it might end up better than when it came from the factory.
He concurred that for ADAT inline recording, there really isn't much of an alternative out there.

Tonekat said:
I'm thinking Mackie 1604 or (preferably) a small Studiomaster or Soundcraft (used). Any suggestions on a 16 track board? Could go 24 for the right price...

Go for a 24ch ghost (if you can find one with in your budget), you will not be disappointed with the board, especially the EQs. The board is constructed with each channel strip as an individual module. Meaning, should a channel ever go down, you could remove just that channel to send for repair and still use the board. In addition, the board also has MIDI mute automation (if you don’t need midi, there is an “LE” version of the board as well) .

My 2 cents :)

Well, it's still in the shop. My bass player is willing to spend a grand on another board.
I don't suppose there's any way to link two Studio 32's together in a way that would make any sense (you'd end up with two master sections I guess, maybe not?)
Any suggestions? Has to have at least 16 channels and be compatible with our two existing ADATs.

Diagnosis now known

This time it's the power supply, a $50 part, so I'm hoping this will fix it once and for all!

It's baaaaaccckkk! again.

OK, just cost a tad over 72.00 to fix this time, to replace the power tranny, and it has a 30 day warranty, maybe I'll get it hooked up after xmas and see how it works now.

Back