Studio 32 & 2 LX20's

Tyler Sherman

In my home studio I'm using 2 ADAT LX20's linked together with a Studio 32 mixer I got "refurbished" from Musician's Friend, seemingly the ideal set up for running 2 ADAT's. The price of the mixer was right but it has this weird quirk. When recording, or sometimes when mixing, the signal inexplicably drops out & from that point on that particular channel is dead & I have to reroute to another channel to complete the project. After several channels do this, I pack it up & send it to an Alesis service center (TSI Paramus NJ). It's been there several times for this same problem. Last time I got it back with a note saying I must be using it wrong & to check my wiring. Just to prove it wasn't my cables or Mics I hooked up my old Mackie CR1604 set up with one ADAT. No problems. I guess my question is: has anyone else here had a similar problem with the Studio 32 mixer? In other words, is this a common fault when the mixers have some mileage on them? I suspect it is not "refurbished" but rather "well used". I'd appreciate hearing anyone's experience with the mixer. I'm considering fixing it one more time, selling it & getting one of the new Behringer 32 channel mixers with built in effects.

Back