Stuck between two audio interfaces

Aidan0222

I've just recently decided to get into home recording. I'm currently torn between two audio interfaces. The first is the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 ($150) and the iRig Duo Pro ($200). They both can record two inputs at once. The only difference is the the iRig connects to phones, tablets, and computers, while the Focusrite only connects to Computers. I will be doing 95% of recording on my computer so the phone compatibility of the iRig is not a huge benefit. Which one should I get? And does anyone know how the audio quality of the iRig Duo compares to the quality of the Scarlet 2i2?

I've just recently decided to get into home recording. I'm currently torn between two audio interfaces. The first is the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 ($150) and the iRig Duo Pro ($200). They both can record two inputs at once. The only difference is the the iRig connects to phones, tablets, and computers, while the Focusrite only connects to Computers. I will be doing 95% of recording on my computer so the phone compatibility of the iRig is not a huge benefit. Which one should I get? And does anyone know how the audio quality of the iRig Duo compares to the quality of the Scarlet 2i2?

I have to confess I'm not familiar with the iRig but have used a number of the Focusrite interfaces. The preamps you get at all levels of Focusrite products are excellent and you wouldn't go far wrong with that.

What all instruments are you looking to record? Any MIDI needs? What microphones are you using? How many microphones/instruments are you looking to record at one time?

The new Mkll Focusrite interfaces look very good. They have addressed such issues as low instrument input headroom and improved latency.

That iRig device looks like my Bete Noir! Dinky devices with dangly bits that will drag it all over the shop. It is powered by just two AAs and so I cannot see the headroom being stellar OR it if so, it will EAT batteries! It has the benefit of MIDI (albeit on mini jacks. Do they supply DIN adapters?) and if that is important to you just go for the 214.

Tablet/phone recording is to me a whole other ball game. The best results will come, IMHO from a purpose built computer based rig.

Dave.

What all instruments are you looking to record? Any MIDI needs? What microphones are you using? How many microphones/instruments are you looking to record at one time?
I'll be recording an acoustic and electric guitar, vocals, a midi keyboard. I'll be recording a max of two instruments at a time. Both interfaces can record two inputs at a time

I was just curious because I've recently become a fan of the Behringer U-Phoria line. I hate to complicate your shopping, but the UMC204HD sounds right about up your alley. 2 inputs, 4 outputs, plus 5-pin MIDI in/out. And it costs about half of what the 2i2 costs. I've played with its younger brother (the UMC22) and I was pretty impressed. I was able to get low latency and a good signal from the XLR and instrument inputs. While I haven't personally used the UMC204HD, I think that the UMC22 demonstrated all of the features to me well enough to say that this budget line of interfaces is worth a look or two while shopping. I just recorded an entire project with the Behringer ADA8200, which uses the same Midas preamps, and it actually sounded pretty damn good. Not awe-inspiring, but those cheap-ass Midas preamps are solid. Low noise, good range of gain. I'm having a hard time not recommending the U-Phoria line to anybody looking for an entry-level interface.

I was just curious because I've recently become a fan of the Behringer U-Phoria line. I hate to complicate your shopping, but the UMC204HD sounds right about up your alley. 2 inputs, 4 outputs, plus 5-pin MIDI in/out. And it costs about half of what the 2i2 costs. I've played with its younger brother (the UMC22) and I was pretty impressed. I was able to get low latency and a good signal from the XLR and instrument inputs. While I haven't personally used the UMC204HD, I think that the UMC22 demonstrated all of the features to me well enough to say that this budget line of interfaces is worth a look or two while shopping. I just recorded an entire project with the Behringer ADA8200, which uses the same Midas preamps, and it actually sounded pretty damn good. Not awe-inspiring, but those cheap-ass Midas preamps are solid. Low noise, good range of gain. I'm having a hard time not recommending the U-Phoria line to anybody looking for an entry-level interface.

Yes, once in a while Behringer make something good and it even becomes a bit of an icon. The Mk1 ADA unit had its faults I understand but was good enough for many "pro" engineers to use (tho' a bit reticent to admit it!). The new unit seems to address most, if not all the failings of the earlier unit.

Another "icon" is the BCR2000 MIDI controller which was far and away THE cheapest motorized fader controller around and seemed to work ok?

I still have a BCA2000 interface in my loft. Brilliant device and for the money never equalled IMHO. Such a shame that they did not "do an ADA" on it and fix the dreadfully poor reliability and drivers!

The UCA 202 is great for $30 or so, HA 400 ok. The cheap, active DI is bloody awful!

Just WISH they would stop ripping off people's guitar amplifiers!

Dave.

That iRig looks interesting but I suspect you won't find many people who've actually used it. If your need involved a lot of field recording then it might be worth a punt--I do a fair bit of field stuff and if I had a spare $200 lying around I'd be tempted.

Since you say that virtually everything you do will be at home into your computer, I'd probably opt for the safer route of the Focusrite or one of the others people have recommended.

But if you DO gamble on the iRig, I'd love an unbiased review!

I'm not sure about this but I've heard that the new Focusrites require you have USB3 capabilities on your computer. You might want to consider this...

That would be extremely unlikely IMHO. Even the new Tascam 20-20 which IS a USB 3.0 interface will work at reduced performance (mainly higher latency) on USB 2.0.
I for one would be EXTREMELY pissed off if I bought one of the new 214s and found I could not use it on thus HP i3 laptop!

Some of the higher track count F'rites might need DC power if not used on 3.0 but other than that I can see no reason for any lack of compatibility?

Dave.

The new Mkll Focusrite interfaces look very good. They have addressed such issues as low instrument input headroom and improved latency.

That iRig device looks like my Bete Noir! Dinky devices with dangly bits that will drag it all over the shop. It is powered by just two AAs and so I cannot see the headroom being stellar OR it if so, it will EAT batteries! It has the benefit of MIDI (albeit on mini jacks. Do they supply DIN adapters?) and if that is important to you just go for the 214.

Tablet/phone recording is to me a whole other ball game. The best results will come, IMHO from a purpose built computer based rig.

Dave.

I hear the batteries don't last long, about an hour to an hour and a half. You can also power it with the same cable that plugs into guitar pedals (I forget what they're called)

That iRig looks interesting but I suspect you won't find many people who've actually used it. If your need involved a lot of field recording then it might be worth a punt--I do a fair bit of field stuff and if I had a spare $200 lying around I'd be tempted.

Since you say that virtually everything you do will be at home into your computer, I'd probably opt for the safer route of the Focusrite or one of the others people have recommended.

But if you DO gamble on the iRig, I'd love an unbiased review!

I think I'm leaning towards the iRig because I would also like to be able to record music on plane and car rides with a midi keyboard and the iRig can be battery powered as well as with a power cable. If I do get it I will be sure to give you a review

That would be extremely unlikely IMHO. Even the new Tascam 20-20 which IS a USB 3.0 interface will work at reduced performance (mainly higher latency) on USB 2.0.
I for one would be EXTREMELY pissed off if I bought one of the new 214s and found I could not use it on thus HP i3 laptop!

Some of the higher track count F'rites might need DC power if not used on 3.0 but other than that I can see no reason for any lack of compatibility?

Dave.

Apparently I was given some bad information. I checked the Focusrite website and found that the Scarlett does indeed have a USB 2.0 port.

Apparently I was given some bad information. I checked the Focusrite website and found that the Scarlett does indeed have a USB 2.0 port.

WHAT!!!? BAD info off the INTERNET?? is NOTHING sacred? We will be mistrusting politicians and estate agents next!

Dave.

I, for one, with there WERE a lot more interfaces that could take advantage of USB3!

As do I Bobbs! I really don't understand the reluctance of manufacturers to exploit the protocols obvious advantages.

I am not qualified to comment but I would have thought a USB 3.0 interface could have given TB a good run for its money in terms of track count and latency (as evidenced by what RME can do with the much slower USB 2.0)

For the projjy/ field pro market we should be seeing totally bus powered 4 mic input AIs with full spec' spook juice and headphone amps of decent power, maybe two, independent cans feeds?

Not rocket science for such an AI to drop to 2 channel op' for a USB 2.0 connection and full spec be available to USB 2.0 when a PSU is convenient. ...SHOOT! could be a hub or/and record to a stick?

Dave.

Back