Stubborn band

toadies

I'm trying to get the band to use my brothers Fender Twin Reverb amp and jaguar, but they are stubborn, they don't like the sound.

Get this they want to use a CRATE AMP with CRATE DISTORTION, the blue voodoo.

uhhh

I recorded once with crappy success so we starting over and I told them we are using the twin-reverb.

how do i convince them, I'm thinking of calling it off cause i don't want my recording to sound like shit.

i'm not charging them heh.

Twins are great for loud clean sound, but I never cared for their overdrive or distored sounds. I have heard some small Crate amps that had good overdrive.

It somewhat depends on what kind of music you play. If you playing metal, you'd do better with something else, or at least a good external effects frontend like a POD.

Ed

hehe

heres an idea... lol.. im not sure if i would try it.. but.. get your amp sounding the best u can before they show up... and then record a sample with the amp u dont like.. and eq all fucked up and play it back to them.. they say... lets try my amp... and hopefully they wont notice wat u have done.. crazy idea.. i know

the distortion on crate blue voodoos have this weird harmonic thing going on. Doesn't work for 99% of music and not to mention they sound like complete ass.

Get an A/B thing splitter and send one channel to the amp while recording a direct signal with the other. When they're not around, re-amp the clean one with the Fender. :D

chessrock said:
Get an A/B thing splitter and send one channel to the amp while recording a direct signal with the other. When they're not around, re-amp the clean one with the Fender. :D

that's a damn good idea!

just tell them... your amplifier sounds like shit. im doing this for free, and if you want me to record you and have it sound good we're not using your POS crate.

Kill them all, have their heads shrunken, and hang them in your control room.

It will serve as a nice example of a band that just wouldn't listen to reason in your studio.

That should keep subsequent customers in line............

I did a similar thing with a bass player I recorded.

I DI'd him with a passive DI box, with teh XLR out going straight to the mixer and recorded. This is the signal I wanted. Ithen let him EQ his signal through the Amp, and he got this horrible thin clunky bass signal that had no hope of fitting into the mix (awful. Sounded like a Glockenspiel).

I just deleted his EQ'd track and sorted things on the direct track.

You could do a simillar thing here.

print out this thread and show them what we all think. That MAY change thier minds. BUT, they ARE the musicians and this IS their music so if they have that sound in mind and you dont like it, then tell them it is off. You shouldnt have to put your name on something you think sounds horrible. They should understand that or you will end up with a horrible bruise on your eyes! peace

I don't get any of this guys....

OK, so were all gear guys, and going for these awesome sounds, But, really, maybe the band feels the crate amp represents there sound the best.

Why make them change?

I like "ugly" guitar tones too, and my latest venture, has been all about getting the badest, ugliest, and most annoying guitar sounds known to man.

If some engineer guy tried to force me, or /trick/ me (yes im talking about the eq thing that was mentioned by lbc) into using a friggin twin reverb, I would grab my stuff and walk out, whether it was free or not....

Whats the use of them recording something thats not going to represent them.

What if a band comes in with a crappy 3 piece drum kit?... Are we as engineers supposed to force them to use an amazing Neil Peart Style Kit? What if the crappy kit is part of there sound?

Anyways, im starting to ramble, and really, im just sayin'!

1st thing on your mind should be getting the best sound you can with the gear that represents them the best!...

..At least in my opinion.

Keep it real... Instead of worrying that their amp will put a black mark on your engineering credentials, Try making something amazing out of the gear they have. That in itself will give you good creds.

Joe

Obviously you have not used the VC series

FattMusiek said:
Well, I never really liked Fender amps, but Crates are freaking fuzz. They sound like crap no matter what.

I have one of the VC in the white tolex. I can't remember the number. It has a clean and a drive channel. The clean channel is very clean, terrific sound. The drive channel has a very good overdriven sound. Of course this is a Class A amplifier so you are getting true tube distortion.

I agree about the Blue Vodoo series--they are crap.

i used to have the same problem before my studio moved, before i got fucked off with recording shitty garage bands for shitty money, and then getting shit cos you couldn't make someone who can't play sound good.

i had a matamp ( 60's precursor to orange) going into a 4*12. the number of people who turned up with a little shitty marshall vavle state and said they didn't want to use that old piece of crap. the worst of all was peavey bandits. i had two guys who used them with the distortion on 11 and the mid scooped. sounds like an enraged wasp!!!! i used to take the pre amp out of their amp into the matamp, and mic both. their amp i'd put a c1000 bang on centre, then 57's and 421's on 2 of the cones in the 4*12.

the look on some peoples faces when you push up the c1000 fader, then cut it and put up the matamp!!!!

i also had a guitarist from a blues band refusing to use it cos it was too dirty ( probally has a similar sound to that of the fender twin- but bigger cab sound), so he insisted on using a valvestate with full reverb!!!it turned out the lead guitarist in that band thought he was crap too ( and he was paying) so just deleated all his parts as soon as he walked out the studio door!

I agree with Voxvendor, and Chessrock. Take an unprocessed line off the Crate and record it to a separate track, then mic up the Crate. Reamp the dry track through any amp you want, then simply play it back for the band. If they like the Crate, so be it. As VoxV says, it's their music, their call. You may find mixing in a little bit of that unprocessed track, whether dry or re-amped, will sound better than either amp by itself. The band will appreciate that you are offering them options, without trying to control their sound. This may make them more willing to compromise- or not.-Richie

ok i was able to get a clean track off. his guitar.

I use a digital delay petal that has 2-outputs. I simple told him it was a back-up line. So he did all his tracks with his crate amp and his crate overdrive. I couldn't tell where the chord transitions were because it all sounded the same. uhh it was horrible.

Also when he did his "lead" stuff you couldn't tell it was there because it sounded just like the rytheme. So anyway, once he left i reamped it with my ibanez tube screamer and twin-reverb. and cranked that amp up. It was loud. Oh man it sounds a tons better. But it is notible different. I don't think it sounds the greatest by itself. but sounds good with both crate and fender amp playing at same time. He wanted lots of guitar sound so this is the best i got at it. I'm happy with the success.

Of course he probably be like i don't like that crappy distortion (tube screamer).

fuck it. He is liking it thats bottem line.

I got 2 more bands lined up after him paying bands. The band i recorded helped me out by getting my name out. So i want it to sound good as possible.

Back