Stripper Glitter...mix critique

Acoustic-Fury

A song that came from a disturbing concept on a drunken summer night (we youtubed it before I recorded the song):

Here is a brief horrible version of the night it was created (keep in mind we were hammered)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OSw3SSRW0

Some of us have daughters and the drunken banter turned to Strippers and how much we love them...and then someone said, "Yea but what if you went to a strip bar and you see your daughter on stage but didn't realize it was her until it was too late?"

Yea.

I began playing the riff you hear in the youtube video and people started chiming in with lyrics.

I invited the guy who was singing them over a couple months later, he brought over the napkin he wrote all the lyrics down on, we polished up the tune, I recorded it and here it is:

Stripper Glitter
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6267438

I recorded it direct with a Taylor 310ce Dreadnought Cutaway
Vocal mic used was a Blue Bluebird
Original Mbox with Pro Tools LE 7.3
PC Drummer 5 and Drumagog

Lemme know if anything jumps out at you that just doesn't sound right - I have a couple reservations on some things and I've got to come back to it with a fresh pair of ears.

Thanks for the critique!

I'm listening on bad speakers so I can't comment on the mix, but cool song. It ends pretty abruptly though, not sure if I like that part or if I would like a more epic ending :D

I like the song and it's got a good story behind it. My daughter is not even two yet, so I don't want to be thinking about that particular situation.

There's something not right with the drums. Cymbals are harsh and overbearing. I think they dominate the mix to the point it's hard to tell how everything else sits.

Good harmonizing with the vocals.

Cheers,

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6267438

I'm listening on bad speakers so I can't comment on the mix, but cool song. It ends pretty abruptly though, not sure if I like that part or if I would like a more epic ending :D
Thanks PT! Yea...we kept it short because my buddy that came over to sing it didn't have much time to work on it. Besides...some times I dig the short but sweet tunes. We felt this song might fit that vein. Always keep'em wanting more...lol.

I like the song and it's got a good story behind it. My daughter is not even two yet, so I don't want to be thinking about that particular situation.

There's something not right with the drums. Cymbals are harsh and overbearing. I think they dominate the mix to the point it's hard to tell how everything else sits.

Good harmonizing with the vocals.

Cheers,

heh...thanks Chili - yea the concept is a very frightening one to us fathers of daughters. :D

I agree on the cymbals they were ripping my face off after I listened to it the next day. Thanks for the harmony critique - I love harmonies but I hate not being in pitch - so the reason they probably sound better than they should is because of melodyne pitch correction software. It is a time and life saver and well worth the money if you are a middle of the road singer that gets bothered easily by the pitchiness of your own voice.

I think it's finally done.

Thanks for the input guys!

Back