Strings

maxman65

Hi .played around a ton with spitfire strings to the point of exhaustion . Stereo 2 tracks then layered with a duplicated performance. Finally scrapped the whole lot and opted for just a single track heavily eq ed compressed drenched in reverb and panned quarter way I don't know whether this phenomenon of harmonic satiration comes into play but so far quite honestly a single track of it sounds as good or better than anything else I've tried . Thoughts? Hope this helps

Depends what Spitfire strings you're using. I've tried a bunch but the only one I really like is the BBC Orchestra which I used on a recent recording.

The cheap ones epic strings (live) short attack . So quickly things get cluttered I'm experimenting with simply recording everything as one track with the exception of vocals which I'll double track .

I have lots of spitfire strings and you need to pick the most appropriate ones, then play them properly, to fit the music. The Albion strings are massive in size, have incredible numbers of articulations and controls, abbey road and the others are more generic. The success is down to time, effort and playing skill. We can’t even guess without hearing yours in context, but the reason they have so many is that strings in real life are the hardest thing to make work.

Yes I agree done right they can be amazing . Done wrong it's like being drenched in a cacophony of fake cats

Back