Strings & GIDGE apology

7evin

First off, all apologies to member Gidge! The personal attacks were out of the question, and I was having a hell of a day. Yet I still think that you could accept other peoples opinions on Schecter guitars better : ) LOL

NE ways

I have always wondered what the rest of the guitar playing world thinks of certain guitar strings. WHAT IS YOUR FAVE STRING AND WHY? ELEC or ACOUS? HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE YOUR STRINGS??

I have always been partial to D'Adarrio and Elixer's.

I never tried those elixir things.... are they really worth the extra money ?

I always use D'addario. I have to change regulary because I break a lot of strings. Otherwise, I change them once a month

Kelly5150 said:
Dean Markley's, they never break on me, and seem to last longer...

I don't like those, they give a strange feel and I don't like their sound.

but it's a matter of taste I guess

BrettB said:
I never tried those elixir things.... are they really worth the extra money ?

I always use D'addario. I have to change regulary because I break a lot of strings. Otherwise, I change them once a month

I have a set of Elixers on my electric right now. I would say they are worth the extra money. They sound good distorted or clean. They are kinda slippery at first, but once you get used to them its not so bad.

I rarely break strings, so I usually retire them after about a month. Sometimes 2 months, but only when Im bad.... :)

Guess I'm just a bit old fashioned, I still like that "twangy" sound I get from Ernie Ball strings, and I change strings every three to four weeks under most conditions, more often when playing out a lot.

Was always a GHS Boomers .10's kind of guy. Tried about a half dozen sets of the Elixers and now I'm back to the Boomers. I think I'm sticking with GHS.

I've never used DR brand strings. Has anyone used 'em? I have always stuck with GHS/Elixer/D'addario and I'm looking for something new to try. I figure after years and years of trying new guitar, strings and effects I might find something I could stick with. LOL

guitar boomers here too...i change them whenever I feel necessary, i like that deep sound they get after being worn in after a while, thats why i play a lot when I first get them to get rid of the clangyness...

I used Guild 80/20 Phospher Bronze mediums for probably 10 years, until production moved to Mexico in the 90's. Still have a couple sets somewhere around here.

I've been using Elixer NANO-Web mediums since they came out. Prior to that I had tried the POLY-Web and liked them, but the nano's are brighter.

What I like about the Elixers, and also about the old Guilds, is that they would usually stabilize fairly quickly compared to some other strings. I quit using Martin Marquis after getting a LOT of "dud" low-E strings. I used to buy those buy the box at GC in Santa Ana and change strings every couple weeks. I was playing open-mics and playing a lot back then. And for some reason it got to the point where 3 or 4 low-E's out of a box of 12 sets would just "thunk" instead of ring out.

I NEVER had a Guild Phospher or Elixer string do that.

I don't play electric enough to even remember what's on the SG...................

I used boomers recently on my Tele and I like them,
I use the elixirs on both of my Taylors, I have tried a variety of others and always come back to the elixirs, (Nano's)
never tried elixirs on an eletric but think I will give em a try.

HOWEVER!!
I'm interested in trying a few different ones on my SCHECTER that I recently bought after making many comparisons, lot of bang for the buck, (Did replace the pickups with dimarzios)

I'm trying but not making much progress on my forgivness for your blast at Gidge, but I'll keep working on it.

GHS here also. They've always served well enough. This last set I put on, however, seems to have worn quicker than in the past. Maybe I'll try the Elixers, how much are they on average?

Sorry to get too far off the subject, but does anyone know how often pickups should be replaced, and what contributes to their eventual demise? I have an old Dimarzio SS, and it just doesn't seem to have the ballz it used to...

riccol said:
I used boomers recently on my Tele and I like them,
I use the elixirs on both of my Taylors, I have tried a variety of others and always come back to the elixirs, (Nano's)
never tried elixirs on an eletric but think I will give em a try.

HOWEVER!!
I'm interested in trying a few different ones on my SCHECTER that I recently bought after making many comparisons, lot of bang for the buck, (Did replace the pickups with dimarzios)

I'm trying but not making much progress on my forgivness for your blast at Gidge, but I'll keep working on it.

what... are you sleeping with him.. DROP IT. By the way riccol, that thread about Schecter guitars a while back that you started was called "Schecter guitars, opinions?". Next time you start a thread and are asking for peoples opinions, you might want to accept ummmmmmm OPINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You call me a inexperienced player? Wow, I thought you didn't know anything about me..

HAPPY FORUMING! :)

7evin,
did not have a problem with your opinion, in fact I considered it valid, even took it seriously into consideration As I shopped for a relativey inexpensive guitar.
if you check it was not your opinon that bothered me, a lot of folks here that give good advice get a little sarcastic.
It was your attack on Gidge, that seemes so unbalaced.

You know I don't really know anyting much about Gidge, but that he has give some patient advice. Just a little to me but many others
I don't even have a problem with your being upset with what you percived as sarcasm from gidge. But that silly attack on his web site was over the top.

I don't know if you are and experience player are not but you sure are a hyper-sensitve dude.

Do you work at the post office?

I don't have a web site you can go to, but I'm old and ugly. You can feel free to post that!!

I can't stand anything but DR's and Boomers

GHS Boomers is pretty much what I use. Usually 9-46, but sometimes 10's.

DR strings sound totally awsome, but don't feel to me as good as GHS Boomers do, plus Boomers also sound very nice, and thick.

well i don't know if you guys have ever heard of them, but i use S.I.T strings on all my electrics. they have a brightness that i just can't get enough of. they stay in tune and even resist changes in temp and humidity better than most that i have ever seen... and i've seen a lot! lol
anyway with my rig the extra brightness helps my leads come out over the top with ease.
they seem to last longer too. but only about a week longer. after all, with the higher acidic content of my sweat, that's saying a lot. but that's the name of the game right? more bang for the buck!

another way to get extra life out of those strings (and i don't care who says otherwise) is to use Tone's Finger Ease before you play, everytime you play. this stuff is amazing! and it's great for helping with "string talk".

mike

For acoustic I use both Elixr Nanos and D'adarrio phosphor bronz. I also switch between light and medium guages.....right now I seem to be in "light" mode. With D'addarios I change em about every two weeks, Elixrs about once a month.

For electric, I am all over the place....Boomers, DRs, D'adario, Blue Steel, got some elixrs, but have never put em on the electric. 10-46's mainly, and I change them when they get sloppy, usually in about a months time.

Back