Strings for Epi ES-175

getuhgrip

Bring Back Transfat!
This was my choice for a "big fat jazz style" guitar. Cheap, but gorgeous. With the default strings it sounds a bit more "toyish" and tinny than I would have thought.

Is there a set of strings that might fatten this thing up some? Muttley recommended some D'addarios for my Takamine, and they sound great. I'd like a little more action on the top for this one, though. ;)

Any thoughts?

My Epi ES-295 came with 10s and they totally sucked. Try using 11s. I use ernie ball, but some people say they suck.

post a pic of your guitar. I think my 295 is pretty freaking nice for a korean made.

Try this, Getuhgrip- D'Addario EXL115W. Those are 11's with a wound G, like acoustic strings. Commonly used by jazz guitarists, the wound G will make all those full chords work.
After using them for years, I can't really imagine why anyone would want guitar strings with a plain G. They are also great for playing The Who.-Richie

Rick,

Try a set of "flat wounds" on it ;) .............not everyone's choice but definitely worth considering.

Chris :cool:

My Epi ES-295 came with 10s and they totally sucked. Try using 11s. I use ernie ball, but some people say they suck.

post a pic of your guitar. I think my 295 is pretty freaking nice for a korean made.

I like slinkys for stuff like strats and dinkys. Dunno if they'd be the ticket for a fat, hollow body????

Attachments

• DSCN4224.jpg
    DSCN4224.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32
Depending on what you're looking to play, a hybrid 10/11 set might do good. I've got Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom strings on my Peavey JF2 EX (semi-hollow electric), and it's quite a bit more lively than what was on it when I bought it.

Matt

I like slinkys for stuff like strats and dinkys. Dunno if they'd be the ticket for a fat, hollow body????

What do you mean, like the Ernie Ball brand wouldn't work on a hollow body?

I don't leave strings on long enough to care much about brand unless they break. I buy mostly for the packaging. Although EB recently started using a sealed plastic bag that I don't like, they still put each string in a tree-killing paper envelope, which I prefer. D'Addario or whoever puts all the strings in one plastic bag and color codes them are the worst for me. Martin acoustic strings have 2 strings in each envelope, which also sucks. The freaking cats will not leave them alone and you always have one sitting there for at least a minute.

If you really want to play Jazz, then you might want heavier than 11s and you may want to try flatwounds because it will be like a totally different instrument. I play rockabilly and I still need to bend that G string. I think 18 is about as big as a plain string you can get. The thing is that the scale length on your 175 is shorter than your jackson or strat. 11s will feel like tens. That's why the stock tens feel cheap and shitty like 9s or something.

What do you mean, like the Ernie Ball brand wouldn't work on a hollow body?

That's not at all what I mean. I meant I don't think SLINKYs (super or regular) would give the body I'm hoping for. I dig EB strings, and it may be that a heavier EB works on this fatso guitar. :cool:

Back