string/fretboard cleaners

It is OK. I have used it and don't think it is any better or worse than a cloth !

I use lemon oil to condition dark wood fretboards and that works very well.

oops, i was mistaken. according to ghs' website it's a "String and Neck Lubricant / String Cleaner" not a fretboard cleaner. they also say to "Use it on strings, fretboard, back of neck. Lets fingers slide freely, keeps strings clean, is good for wood."

good for wood? or that it just doesn't harm wood?

+1 on lemon oil.

Elixir strings last a long time without much cleaning effort. If I didn't use them, I'd just change strings more often.

I have used Fast Fret for 15+ years with great results on strings and fretboard woods (ebony, rosewood, maple, & etc.). Fast Fret does NOT contain any silicates, which can do damage to many finishes and/or woods. I juice up the strings with Fast Fret before and after practicing/gigs, and have found that my strings last longer without becoming dull sounding, because they don't get covered with gunk and such.

To *really* clean my fretboards, I use lemon oil, as others have suggested. It can be purchased at any fine wood shop and at most hardware stores.

-mr moon

supplies
1: Boiled Linseed oil (home depot) It's boiled to ge tthe impurities out
2: 0000 steel wool (home depot) It's the finest grain you can get

I grew up with a luthier in my family and showed me this when I was really young, I do it about every 5-6 months, depending on my playing.
Step 1.
Take all strings off
Step 2.
add a small amount of Boiled linseed oil to a little tuft of steel wool. Use on about half the fretboard, then wet the wool again.
Step 3.
gently scrub the fretboard,
IMPORTANT!!!!--only go with the grain, DO NOT go against the grain. lightly scrub the frets (same direction as grain) and get as close to the part where the fret and the wood meet, to get out all the dead skin and muck.
Step 4. Let it dry,
Step 5. Re-string

I've used this all my life and I love the difference it makes, everyone I've ever told this to says that they're changing methods.

Mr. Moon said:
I have used Fast Fret for 15+ years with great results on strings and fretboard woods (ebony, rosewood, maple, & etc.). Fast Fret does NOT contain any silicates, which can do damage to many finishes and/or woods. I juice up the strings with Fast Fret before and after practicing/gigs, and have found that my strings last longer without becoming dull sounding, because they don't get covered with gunk and such.

mr moon, thanks--this was what i was looking for. heh, didn't know that it's been around for so long. i figured ghs was reputable, but since i've never used any such products on my guitar i was a little hesitant.

guitarfreak12 said:
supplies
1: Boiled Linseed oil (home depot) It's boiled to ge tthe impurities out
2: 0000 steel wool (home depot) It's the finest grain you can get

I grew up with a luthier in my family and showed me this when I was really young, I do it about every 5-6 months, depending on my playing.
Step 1.
Take all strings off
Step 2.
add a small amount of Boiled linseed oil to a little tuft of steel wool. Use on about half the fretboard, then wet the wool again.
Step 3.
gently scrub the fretboard,
IMPORTANT!!!!--only go with the grain, DO NOT go against the grain. lightly scrub the frets (same direction as grain) and get as close to the part where the fret and the wood meet, to get out all the dead skin and muck.
Step 4. Let it dry,
Step 5. Re-string

I've used this all my life and I love the difference it makes, everyone I've ever told this to says that they're changing methods.

guitarfreak12, thanks for the detailed tip. always learning something new...

the way I do it is deffinately a labor of love, like soldering the wound eyelets of the strings to help keep in tune. I'm a little crazy

v6v6v6 said:
mr moon, thanks--this was what i was looking for. heh, didn't know that it's been around for so long. i figured ghs was reputable, but since i've never used any such products on my guitar i was a little hesitant.

"Fast-Fret" has been around since the mid-80's. GHS picked it up in the early 90's. ;)

-mr moon

1. take strings off.
2. take touth brush (brothers if possible). dip in rubbing alcohol and brush over the frets both with the grain and against to remove finger gunk.
3. wipe fretboard down.
4. wipe fretboard down with clean cloth and lemon oil.
5. restring, tune jam.

this is what i do when restringing any guitar.

Back