Stretched ribbon?M160

1tonio

What happens when a ribbon (mic) is stretched? Does it lose low end?

Blowing into a ribbon is a no-no. My Beyer M160 was blown into at a session last night, but seems to be OK. the bastid :eek:

1tonio said:

Blowing into a ribbon is a no-no. My Beyer M160 was blown into at a session last night, but seems to be OK. the bastid :eek:

I am thinking it will lose high end and gain low end (if it doesn't clip by hitting thr magnet). Stretching lengthens the ribbon allowing it to swing further than before.

The ribbon on the 160 is a different type of ribbon than most ribbon mics. The ribbon is not corrogated and is very narrow. I'm replacing a transformer in mine and I'll post a pic of the ribbon later

1tonio said:

Probably didn't hurt it; that mic was designed for voice, and looks like it has a monster grille to dissipate breath. I wouldn't worry about it unless you get rattling (clipping) as the ribbon bumps the magnets.

Hey thanks for the replies !! I also heard from another source that it would rattle if stretched. whew. no rattling here.

Chance , please do post piccies :D

dgatwood -vox, not the 260? But good info nonetheless.

T

1tonio said:
dgatwood -vox, not the 260? But good info nonetheless.

Oh, most definitely. That's the only good reason to build a mic to look like an SM58. Most non-vocal mics don't look like that.... They even mention vocals as an application in their ad copy. I've seen it mentioned as a suggested application for both the 160 and 260 on several dealer sites.

Note: I've never tried either on vocals, so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Back