Stray Dog Blues

Yeah! Great performance. I might clear up the lower mids a little and tighten up the punch on the low end. And this is a quibble, but I found the guitar solo a little too "heavy metal" for the tune. I'd like something a little bluesier - but that's just a taste thing.

But love the singing and playing. Great voice. Where's the rest?

Chris

Thanks Groucho

We plan to retrack the guitar solo. We'll probably retrack the whole thing, but I thought this one was worth keeping.

I'm not a huge blues fan, but I thought this was nice. Some good lead guitar work. The tone on it was ok on the lower part of the register, but some of those high notes got a bit piercing. Good growling blues voice.

Something weird at 1:38 - I wonder if it's the low bps in your MP3 conversion? Something else weird around 2:38-2:40. Possibly whacked during an MP3 conversion as well. I'd say 128 bps is about the lowest rate you want to go with.

I thought the mix in general could use a little more low end. I'm listening on small headphones, so don't take that as gospel. But it just sounds to me like it's got too much "in the middle" and not enough in the low end.

My thoughts.

woodz!

I can't think of anything but wow this guys got it all.
vocals and guitar chops.
You could have left the effects off the lead
but that is really just personal preference..

VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, I have the whole song but I didn't post it because it might take too long to download.

Last edited:
tite. Nice singing n picking too. lil more fat ass on the guitar and some kick and bass. Prob'ly smokin jus right live. I like the delay on the vocal.

Maybe this will make it more interesting for everyone when/if they listen to the recording.

I recorded everything onto a Fostex VF-16

Lead vocal:
Microphone - I used an AT4040 LD condenser with the low cut filter switch turned on.
PreAmp - Grace 101
Compressor – RNC

Kick Drum:
Microphone – AKG D112
PreAmp – SUNN 2416
Compressor – Composer Pro

Snare:
Microphone – Sennheiser e604
PreAmp – SUNN 2416

Tom 1:
PreAmp – SUNN 2416

Tom 2:
PreAmp – SUNN 2416

Floor Tom:
Microphone – AT Pro 25
PreAmp – SUNN 2416

Overhead L:
Microphone – MXL 603
PreAmp – Mackie CFX20

Overhead R:
Microphone – MXL 603
PreAmp – Mackie CFX20

Bass:
PreAmp – SUNN 2416

Guitar:
PreAmp – SUNN2416

The guitar we recorded direct in, we are planning to go back and overdub the guitar tracks but haven’t gotten to it yet. We think the guitar tracks sound good as they are so no immediate rush there.

Keys (Yamaha Motif 7):
PreAmp – SUNN 2416

It was the first time we used the SUNN 2416 mixing board, our guitarist has one so I thought let’s give it a try. Normally we use the Mackie CFX20 to pre-amp everything when we are recording. I really like the sound the SUNN puts out, I wish I could find some specs on this board. I hear people talk about pre-amps (Neve) that have an iron sound to them. I think the preamps in the SUNN board have that sound, at least in comparison to the Mackie they seem to have a fatter sound.

Sweet drums right off ye bat man!! Big, full approach.

Not crazy about the lead gtr tone... nor the stock keyboard patch.

But you have a great, no... KILLER blues voice. The drums sound f'in delicious. Cymbals are coming across a tad thin... esp the ride. Really nice mix -- minus a tiny bit of necessary sizzle. crawdad's got to get his ears on this...

Around 1:50... your wave is clipping out... on those synth horns...

Again... the gtr tone (solo) is a lil harsh on this end... and the solo is a bit loud in your mix.

What?? Just as that jazz organ comes in... you cut out... Bummer! :p

Nice listen. You're definitely in the ballpark. A few adjustments and you'll hit 'em all out 'tha park.

Chad

Sounds great to me! The issues I hear are minor and are similar to what others have mentioned. Lead guitar tone early on seems a little jarring, and later the solo guitar tone could use some tweaking, but it's a matter of taste. Very solid performance-wise and recording. You might want to mic an amp cabinet for the lead guit. Doesn't quite sound natural.

You said you didn't play on it, but did the engineering. What kind of studio do you have?

George

This was recorded at the guitarists house, we set-up the drums in a small bedroom, vocals in another and the rest of the guys(Bass, guitar & Keys) were with me in the living room.

Back