Strat String Breaker

LeeJ

OK, Im reeeeeally P!$$ed off now. I've had my US Strat Plus for 17 years now and recently, say within the last 4 years, I've been going through strings (especially 0.26 D string) at a rate of every other gig. Sometimes I'll string it completely on the Monday, gig on the Wednesday, gig on the Thursday (break a D string) and re-string on the Friday, ready for the weekend. The bridge saddles are those US powder coated type. It seems like the strings are cutting grooves into the saddles. I remove all the burrs with wet 'n' dry everytime I re-string. I have replaced the saddles with new ones (the same type) but to no effect.

So, would replacing my bridge with a vintage US strat bridge with the nickel saddles cure my problem?? (Yes I know the vintage one has 6 screws but it'll be worth it if it works.)

Any ideas, help or suggestions are welcome. (and no Im not going to buy a Les Paul!!)

i had exactly the same problem - and most of the time it was the d string on my american series strat......i play with quite a heavy style and it was pissing me off and my band even more! since i've got a framus haven't had half the string breakages - but still need to fix the saddle - not really sure what the options are though....

Oh thank the lord! I thought I was the only one in the world! Theres a couple of options, replace the saddles with graphite ones etc but I want to maintain the Fender look. So I was hoping the vintage saddles don't break the strings as much.

Theres a couple of options, replace the saddles with graphite ones

Fifteen years and counting using graphite saddles here, and I can count on one hand how many strings i've broken since changing over...

Now if I said I had tried the Graphtech saddles and it broke the same string in the same place, would you say it was the string at fault. Im using Ernies 10's

Graph tech is making new saddles that are chrome with an insert of graphite at the contact points. That way you can keep the chrome theme of the bridge intact while getting the benefits of graphite saddles.

They also make graphite string trees and nuts.

http://www.graphtech.com/product_display.asp?SearchType=brand&brand=StringSaver

(scroll down until you see the FerraGlides)

And... yes, it could be your strings contributing to the problem. I have noticed some strings last longer for me than others. For instance, I usually use D'Addario 11s but I have recently been experimenting with DR 11s. The DRs seem to last a little longer (not ALOT longer, but definitely longer).

Same issue for me...one of the strings on my strat keeps breaking at the saddle. Upon inspection, the string had worn a groove in the saddle, which was undoubtedly wearing the string the wrong way.

I visited the graphtech website, and they have what I apparently need, but it costs $60 for a set.

A couple of questions:

1. Is Graphtech the only company that makes graphite saddles?

2. Can you buy Graphtech anywhere besides the website?

3. Besides less string breakage, are there any other advantages to graphite? I could replace the saddles for cheaper by going with a stock replacement (vs. graphite), and have maybe 15 more years of trouble-free playing before they wore out again, if there are no other advantages.

Yer same peroblem here, i have a very "hard hitting, funky style!" but i get through strings at a rate too and my strat and tele(less on the tele). Anoys me!

jfrog said:
A couple of questions:

1. Is Graphtech the only company that makes graphite saddles?

2. Can you buy Graphtech anywhere besides the website?

3. Besides less string breakage, are there any other advantages to graphite? I could replace the saddles for cheaper by going with a stock replacement (vs. graphite), and have maybe 15 more years of trouble-free playing before they wore out again, if there are no other advantages.

1. I think so. But don't quote me on that.

2. Ebay. Don't know of anywhere else. Again, don't quote me.

3. Supposedly (I'm no expert), the graphite helps the guitar stay in tune-- especially when using heavy tremolo. The theory is that the graphite provides more lubrication and therefore reduces friction. I don't know how much difference just the saddles make in this situation. I suppose the ideal setup would be graphite saddles, graphite nut, and graphite string trees. Anywhere there is contact with the string will produce friction-- leading to tuning/breakage problems.

Scottgman said:
Supposedly (I'm no expert), the graphite helps the guitar stay in tune-- especially when using heavy tremolo. The theory is that the graphite provides more lubrication and therefore reduces friction. I don't know how much difference just the saddles make in this situation. I suppose the ideal setup would be graphite saddles, graphite nut, and graphite string trees. Anywhere there is contact with the string will produce friction-- leading to tuning/breakage problems.

Many years ago when I still used the tremolo arm on my strat I would actually put a tiny bit of oil under each string where it hit the nut. It seemed to make all the difference in the world. I could dive bomb the pitch to the floor and it would still come right back to pitch.

Yeah, I've seen something similar recommended by various people.

However, the lubricant was graphite powder. I've even seen people recommend filing/sanding the graphite lead from a pencil and putting the powder in the nut/saddle slots.

Same concept... different lubricant.

Maybe you could just lube the saddles and nut with graphite (from a pencil). It works for me, I break a string every once in a while. You could also change to a lighter pick to counteract that heavy picking.

OK, Im fitting my Graphtech saddles tonight, restringing with Ernie Ball 10's and we'll see what happens. Im gigging all weekend so if it's gonna break it will then. If it does my 17 year relationship with my strat will come to an end as I calmly launch it from the van window into the on-coming traffic.

Yes they do, and when you put them on you will have no more stringbreakages at the saddles, also your intonation and sustain will improve, only a little bit, but yes, you will notice it.

LeeJ, I am sure the grahptech saddles will do their job, so no need to fall out of love with your strat :D

Cheers

Eddie

LeeJ said:
OK, Im fitting my Graphtech saddles tonight, restringing with Ernie Ball 10's and we'll see what happens. Im gigging all weekend so if it's gonna break it will then. If it does my 17 year relationship with my strat will come to an end as I calmly launch it from the van window into the on-coming traffic.

oooh. There's the problem right there. Ernie Balls.
Every time I've used them, I get a string break.
The cheap house brand I buy lasts longer than those things.

Sloan said:
oooh. There's the problem right there. Ernie Balls.
Every time I've used them, I get a string break.
The cheap house brand I buy lasts longer than those things.

i've also had massive string breakage with ernie ball strings. when i first got an electric guitar, a friend of mine used ernie's and he had played longer than me, was better than me and knew more than me about guitar. he told me the ernies were the best. so that's all i used until like 2 or 3 years later when i decided i HAD to change something. I was like 16 and didn't have a job and my parents wouldn't buy me strings often enough. i was going through at least a set a week.

I changed to d'addario and they lasted probably 2 weeks or longer. then after about a year i changed to gibsons and i've only broken i think 2 strings since. so in the last 3 years i'm pretty positive i've only broken at the very max 2 strings.......and i know that one of those was because i had a brain fart and was turning the wrong tuner and kept turning it til the string broke and smacked me in the face. I don't know if a second time actually happened, i'm just adding one because there's a chance i forgot one.

i'm not saying that the gibsons are the best, because well, even though i haven't tried anything but the 3 i mentioned before, i'm sure they aren't. BUT i am saying that there is a VERY good chance that you need to try a different string brand.

Which Gibsons are they then? Im gonna try a string change. If it cures my problem have a look on e-bay soon. Theres gonna be a 20 packets of Ernies on there soon!!!

LeeJ said:
Which Gibsons are they then? Im gonna try a string change. If it cures my problem have a look on e-bay soon. Theres gonna be a 20 packets of Ernies on there soon!!!

Right now, my favored strings are Elixers (11's).
I usually keep them on 4-5 months with no problems or until the plain strings get REALLY rusty & crusty.

But! They're coming out with new strings that are anti-rust. Can't wait to try those!

Back