Strange Shaped Control Room

Tnglwd_Stu

Hello.

The attached is my small control room - just wondering how you guys would go about acoustically treating it and orientating the equipment to get the best use. As you can see it's not symetrical so the stereo image suffers at present.

Stu

Attachments

• control.gif
    control.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 134
Not sure what you mean by equipment (I hope it's not much, that's slightly larger than a telephone booth) but I would orient the desk and speakers as shown, centered on a line that is equidistant from both splayed walls, bisecting the door.

I marked up your drawing to show what I mean... Steve

Attachments

• wierdsmctlrm.jpg
    wierdsmctlrm.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 116
Thanks Steve,

I'd never thought of orientating it like that.

Not sure if my equipment will fit with enough room to walk past :)

What about orientating the desk and treatment 180 degrees the other way?!?! will that work?????

Cheers for pointers,

Stu

"What about orientating the desk and treatment 180 degrees the other way?!?! will that work?????" -

Not without using that absorbent in the entire room - by turning it 180, you cause those splayed walls to reflect right back at you which will smear the stereo imaging - and since part of one of your walls is glass, it would be hard to absorb that.

I knew it would be tight - if you stay on that centerline, you might be able to move the desk further away from the door and get past it - that was one of the problems I expected.

If you do orient things the way I drew, try to stay away from a position along that centerline where either your speakers or your head are exactly equidistant from both ends of that line (front to back)

If you MUST do a 180, you'll need to make a movable absorbent panel for the window and completely absorb the rest of the room - it will sound dead as a mausoleum if you do that, which is difficult to work with and the main reason I recommend against it... Steve

That room would be perfect for a tracking booth. You don't have a larger more symmetrical room to use for mixing?

Steve - Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

Yeah this room would be perfect for tracking if I could get an entire mic'd drum kit in here, then I could use the 'live' room for mixing which is still only 12' x 12' - but is symetrical, square, but it's a start.

Unfortunately the liklihood of getting a fully mic'd drum kit in here is about likely as me affording a bigger house to accomodate all these hi-tech toys !:>

Thanks for the help.

Back