Strange popping on pick

eternalpayn

Okay, so I was tracking a song with my band the other day. We had the guitarist play through to warm up, and it sounded fine. Then he tuned, and his guitar started making a strange, almost popping sound when he picked. I don't have the recording on me, but I'll post it as soon as I can if would help. He was playing high up on the fretboard, I believe that song has him play at around 12-15 on the 6th string. It sounded like complete shit when he played because of it. The sound was coming out of the amp.
Later on when we were thinking about it, he said something about his pickup being kicked at one point, and it kind of wiggles around sometimes. Would that be the source of the problem, maybe?

Has anyone experienced this before? Because we're tracking again on Saturday and I'd hate to have the same problem twice.

Thanks!

Reactions: apl
It sounds to me like the string is hitting the pickup -- press the string down until it hits the polepiece and see if you get the same sound. Mostly you just need to back that pickup off away from the strings a little. Hopefully you don't have a busted mounting bracket from that kick.

Reactions: apl
Back