Straddling the fence

iangerber

I'm putting together my studio next month. I have my general set-up configured. My last quandary is how I'm going to get my recordings from eight tracks to two. I figure in a perfect world that I would move from my eight track down to a nice two track tape machine, but its not a perfect world and I'm poor. Even if that was the case, the recording are going to end up on a computer eventually. I'm also, starting a label and this plays into it, as far as paying to get my music onto vinyl. I'm not doing my own mastering, for now.

So, what I'm left with is taking the eight tracks and then dropping them onto my Mac. Since someone always asks, I'm running Logic 9. I'm leaning towards the Apogee Duet but I think that it might be a better idea to get something with more inputs so that I can run the studio as a digital studio if I need to.

So there you have it. I'm open to all kinds of budget friendly suggestions.

Lay 'em on me...I can dig it.

Well, if you don't want to mix in Logic then you'll need an analog mixer of some sort. "Budget friendly" means different thing to different people! What's yours?

Personally I would suggest getting at least an 8 channel converter/interface in order to have the option to roll the 8 tracks into Logic for editing/processing even if you're mixing on an analog mixer, sometimes that has to happen especially if you're working for others. Of course, if you're going to mix in Logic rather than on an analog mixer, you'll NEED to be able to get 8 tracks into Logic period so either way there's a good case for an 8 channel digital rig.

On a side note, mastering is best left to mastering engineers IMHO.

I plan on doing my mixes analog and then sending them in stereo to the computer…hence the apogee idea. I did consider the idea of send all eight tracks to the computer for further mixing…for the less performance qualified.

budget would be around 500 bucks.

Back