Storage Unit Demo

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
[size=+1]Hollyhock's profile - Hear the world’s sounds

Recorded these tracks in 4 hours in a storage unit with nothing done to the room except have us in it.....We recorded everything live except vocals and couple one or two note bass or guitar punch-ins.
Mixed in literally 5 minutes/song. But still pleased and wanted to share my excitement.
They will be remixed and have possible overlays of 2nd guitar track or something along those lines.
I like the results!
Oh yeah, and all mixed with earbuds...Ugh, I know. Fucking terrible. Made it work okay though.
THOUGHTS? C&C encouraged!
[/size]

[size=-4]if you dig it, like us on facebook (helps us get shows)
Hollyhock | Facebook
[/size]

Used a twin reverb that sat on the left shelf. The middle shelves had my computer tower, monitor, and rack recording gear.
0324151655_zpscnivhroz.jpg

Last edited:
The songs are really cool. I listened to whole SUD collection.

This isn't the place to promote your band though.

Just avoid comments like 'If you dig it, you should like us on Facebook (it really helps us get shows!)'

This forum is about asking for advice and input. Not asking for hits or promotion.

And I have been following your posts on the storage unit recording setup so it's all good.

Just be aware that this is where members go for suggestions as for help with mixing.

By the way, not too bad for what you were up against. I am actually quite impressed with what you achieved so far with the room you had available. :)

Last edited:
alright, fixed! :) Thanks man.. Appreciate it! We did 5 more in there too that I just mixed down and I think they sound a lot better.. Mainly because I put about 4 times as much time into mixing as I did with those first ones.

There's surely value in "room treatment" but you did a great job of getting the tracks down and putting a very nice recording together of some really cool tunes..

Keep up the good work you guys write some great stuff...

There's surely value in "room treatment" but you did a great job of getting the tracks down and putting a very nice recording together of some really cool tunes..

Yeah, I will +1 that^^.

If this really is recorded in an untreated metal storage unit, kudos, man. The most impressive to me is the definition you've managed to capture in the kick. It thumps just like it should.

Good work.

Sounds pretty good considering the location! Can definitely hear the natural reverb in places - starting guitars, snare. How was this tracked to get the separation?
Singer has some pitch issues, but if you're good with his sound ...

That's pretty impressive for a storage unit. So everything was pretty close-mic'd I take it? My band practices in a storage unit, and we can't hear crap!

I thought it sounded OK. Performances were good.

I thought the guitar needed more high end. I thought it was a little far back in the mix during most of the song.

I thought you could probably notch out a cut in the bass somewhere in the mid 100's. It was a little strong there. Then you might be able to nudge its level up a bit. Might give you a more solid low end.

I could use a little reverb on the snare and vocal. They sounded really dry.

Yeah, I will +1 that^^.
Thanks guys!! Yeah of course there's value in room treatment. Extreme value. Didn't have the time, money, or resources unfortunately.
If this really is recorded in an untreated metal storage unit, kudos, man. The most impressive to me is the definition you've managed to capture in the kick. It thumps just like it should.

Good work.
Thanks man! Yeah I'll get a picture up of the space so you can see.
That's pretty impressive for a storage unit. So everything was pretty close-mic'd I take it? My band practices in a storage unit, and we can't hear crap!
Sounds pretty good considering the location! Can definitely hear the natural reverb in places - starting guitars, snare. How was this tracked to get the separation?
Singer has some pitch issues, but if you're good with his sound ...
Pitch issues?! Fuck! That's me! I'll work on that. The amp was 4 feet from the drumset and mic'd with a neumann tlm 102 and had a vocal isolation thingy to help keep the drums out. The drums were mic'd using the recorderman overhead setup (c-1000's) along with kick(audix d6), snare(sm57), toms(audix i5's) all close mic'd. Bass was DI'd and vocals separate.

I thought it sounded OK. Performances were good.

I thought the guitar needed more high end. I thought it was a little far back in the mix during most of the song.

I thought you could probably notch out a cut in the bass somewhere in the mid 100's. It was a little strong there. Then you might be able to nudge its level up a bit. Might give you a more solid low end.

I could use a little reverb on the snare and vocal. They sounded really dry.
Awesome! Thanks for the help, huge!

Very good given the constraints.
the guitar sounds a little too fizzy for my taste.

Pretty good recordings considering the location. I'm with RayC on the guitars though. I found them a touch too fizzy/fuzzy pretty much all over the tracks. Just a personal taste thing though for me. I'm sure others would like it.

Good stuff :thumbs up:

Just generally.
Alrighty
Pretty good recordings considering the location. I'm with RayC on the guitars though. I found them a touch too fizzy/fuzzy pretty much all over the tracks. Just a personal taste thing though for me. I'm sure others would like it.

Good stuff :thumbs up:
Good to know.. I'll try and work on it maybe someday.. ha.. Thanks for the kind words!

Back