Stopping the buzz!

squibble94

Nature of Force
Hey guys. So basically my problem is whenever I turn on my hall light, my recording buzz and get noisy. It's like taking regular distorted amp noise, and boosting it. It goes away if I shut off my light, but I was just wondering if there was any way to fix this. Thanks in advance!

If it's got a compact flourescent lamp replace it with an incandescent.

But not a lamp higher-wattage than what the fixture is listed for! That practice causes electrical fires.

If its somehow not possible to change the type of bulb the find an outlet on the other leg of your AC power service for your audio gear.

Hmm, I think I may have worded that poorly. The light doesn't buzz, flipping the switch on makes my signal noisy. It may be because most of my upstairs is on the same circuit.

Yeah, I dig it's not the light buzzing. I've been an Inside Wireman for over 30 years.

+1

If it's got a fluorescent bulb...it WILL mess with your audio.

So either get rid of that bulb or don't turn on the hall light. :)

A heads up...in the US, they are planning to outlaw the use of incandescent bulbs starting next year with 100% by 2014...which means only fluorescent bulbs will be sold or halogen incandescent. This is supposed to make is more "green" by saving energy...but it will also make us more insane from that horrid fluorescent "flicker" and of course, all us audio types will be fighting the "buzz".

Though I gotta say...a nice buzz once in awhile ain't all bad. ;)

Anyway...stock up on the incandescent bulbs while you can!!! :eek:

+1

If it's got a fluorescent bulb...it WILL mess with your audio.

So either get rid of that bulb or don't turn on the hall light. :)

A heads up...in the US, they are planning to outlaw the use of incandescent bulbs starting next year with 100% by 2014...which means only fluorescent bulbs will be sold or halogen incandescent. This is supposed to make is more "green" by saving energy...but it will also make us more insane from that horrid fluorescent "flicker" and of course, all us audio types will be fighting the "buzz".

Though I gotta say...a nice buzz once in awhile ain't all bad. ;)

Anyway...stock up on the incandescent bulbs while you can!!! :eek:

halogen incandescent is still incandescent and won't buzz or flicker.

Right, I use mostly halogen track lighting in my studio space...but most halogen needs a specific fixture and/or it's own style of transformer...whereas they now have those screw-in fluorescent bulbs meant to fit existing incandescent fixtures...and they are IMO the WORST at causing buzz due to the cheap, small transformers they use. That is what will be the most available and used by people all across the country, since they will not require new fixtures.

I find the halogen bulbs generate way more heat than typical incandescent bulbs. I use only 25W halogen bulbs...and MAN do they get hot. I think they are as hot as any typical 100W incandescent...so you end up using more AC to cool.

They should come up with a simple way to use solar energy and light for house lighting...like that stuff that absorbs light and then reflects it back.

I'm going to move to using strings of "glow sticks" in my studio when they outlaw incandescent bulbs and I run out of my supply. It will be like a rave party. :D

I agree with all above BUT I've had the fluorescents in my studio for a long time with no issues. However, I'd still try what C7 suggests.

Light dimmers will also create an ac hum as they are dimmed down.It may sound crazy but it works.First off,make sure all your equipment is grounded together.If a piece of equipment has a grounding post then use it.If it doesn't,then take a cabinet screw and loosen it a little and wrap the grounding wire around it.Make sure the grounding wire is hooked to each piece of equipment.then take the grounding wire and ground to a water pipe.If theres no water pipe close to the studio,then get you a piece of rebarb about 3 feet long and drive it in the ground.Get you a very small water hose clamp at the automotive store.Wrap your grounding wire securely around the rebarb and tighten the clamp.This should eliminate the ac hum in your gear.I also use 2 Furman power conditioners in my equipment rack.They do a great job conditioning the power and one even gives me a digital readout of what the power company is feeding me in my ac outlets which has gone as high as 128 volts all the way down to 105 volts."Nothing like living in the country"

If theres no water pipe close to the studio,then get you a piece of rebarb about 3 feet long and drive it in the ground.Get you a very small water hose clamp at the automotive store.Wrap your grounding wire securely around the rebarb and tighten the clamp.

if this doesn't work, drive the bar deeper. 5' or so. daisy chaining about 3 bars a few feet apart also helps

I live in the sticks too. electricity is fickle out here

Back