Stop from going out of tune

Huh! Well, I guess Simon is up late tonight! Here's his reply:

"I don't tune them to specific pitches but somehow they always come out the same. Tom 1 to 2 is an interval of a 4th and then the rest are usually minor 3rds. I can always play the American National Anthem on the first 4 rack toms!!!"

The search continues...

PhilGood said:
Just because someone lists a drummer as an influence doesn't mean they can follow them or play like them. Dave was interesting in this interview. He said drummers come up to him all the time and ask him to show them a new lick. He'll say No, that's not what you need. We talked extensively about why its neccessary to lay back and play the time and fill only where its called for. He only goes nuts if its his music or his time to solo. On someone else's track he does his job.

The next drummer you get that plays over the top and lists them as influences, tell them their influences know when to play what's needed, not always what's fancy!

You know that and I know that. Drummers (I am one) aren't always so bright. Especially ones that are trying to 'prove' themselves or are desperately not trying to get pigeon-holed as a 'metal' drummer. I've got 4 or 5 long term clients that drive me nuts with this shit. In fact, the whole reason I started making drum samples was to replace these guys' stuff. All of them refuse to dampen the drums AND they insist on tuning the drums so that they ring forever...including the kick. They seem to be confusing ring and resonance.

PhilGood said:
Huh! Well, I guess Simon is up late tonight! Here's his reply:

"I don't tune them to specific pitches but somehow they always come out the same. Tom 1 to 2 is an interval of a 4th and then the rest are usually minor 3rds. I can always play the American National Anthem on the first 4 rack toms!!!"

The search continues...
So he doesn't whip out a strobe tuner, but I'll bet you that they are tuned to specific notes.

Farview said:
So he doesn't whip out a strobe tuner, but I'll bet you that they are tuned to specific notes.

exactly--if they are a 4th and/or minor 3rd apart.....and he can play the National Anthem on them, then INDEED he can play a melody on them. (I'm referring back to the 2nd post in this thread from phil stating "Even then...why?? Are you going to play a melody??"--the answer is "yes, maybe i will!" :D)

And it follows that if you can play a melody (and they're a minor 3rd apart), then your drums are, in fact, tuned to specific pitches. even if he doesn't intentionally tune tom 1 to E, tom 2 to B, etc., or KNOW what the pitches are.....it's a rule of musical theory that you have to have specific pitches in order to have the things a 3rd apart.

Thanks to both Dave Weckl and Simon Phillips for proving my point (and for Phil chatting with them to confirm that). case closed, IMO. :D

cheers,
wade

I don't think your point was proven at all. It was implied that you tune the drums to match the song. I just confirmed that wasn't the case. There's a HUGE difference between intervals and exact pitch. You can have a drum that is tuned between c and b sharp and base interval from that, and they may be ballpark intervals.

Everyone here said they compare their toms to a keyboard or match a specific note to go with a song. It was also implied that pros will cange the tuning in a session. Doesn't seem to be the case for me...

And just because your drums END UP at a specific pitch, it doesn't mean it was intentional, as Simon replied. He does not actively SEEK OUT the pitch, it just ends up there. That's a big difference from pulling out a tuner.

I tune them until my ear likes them. Maybe I end up at 4ths. That doesn't mean I don't stop tuning until they are EXACT 4ths and 3rds etc.

And if you're implying I'm just a stupid drummer, let me inform you of my training. Been playing drums for 22 years. I've played guitar and bass for 16 years. Before drums I played french horn and trumpet for 10. I'm a classicly trained vocalist and can sight read.

PhilGood said:
And if you're implying I'm just a stupid drummer, let me inform you of my training. Been playing drums for 22 years. I've played guitar and bass for 16 years. Before drums I played french horn and trumpet for 10. I'm a classically trained vocalist and can sight read.
Read my post again. If you think that is what I am implying, you have proven my point. :D

Now, seriously. No matter how how much experience you have, I'm sure that you would agree that you have not encountered every possible professional situation in every possible genre of music. I'm sure guys that spent their entire career recording opera singers don't have much experience with an SM57. That doesn't mean that it's a terrible mic that should never be used.

It is perfectly possible that you, in your vast experience, have never run across this. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen of that it is a stupid waste of time.

I'm sure Dave Weckl would have a hard time playing a 16th note double bass pattern at 180bpm for an entire 7 minute song and then do the rest of a 45 minute set of the same kind of thing. It doesn't mean he sucks, it just isn't his thing. I'm surrounded by guys who do this for a living. It's just as valid.

Farview said:
Read my post again. If you think that is what I am implying, you have proven my point. :D

Now, seriously. No matter how how much experience you have, I'm sure that you would agree that you have not encountered every possible professional situation in every possible genre of music. I'm sure guys that spent their entire career recording opera singers don't have much experience with an SM57. That doesn't mean that it's a terrible mic that should never be used.

It is perfectly possible that you, in your vast experience, have never run across this. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen of that it is a stupid waste of time.

I'm sure Dave Weckl would have a hard time playing a 16th note double bass pattern at 180bpm for an entire 7 minute song and then do the rest of a 45 minute set of the same kind of thing. It doesn't mean he sucks, it just isn't his thing. I'm surrounded by guys who do this for a living. It's just as valid.

You know, you're right! I don't think I should have said you're wasting your time and I didn't mean to imply it was stupid. It certainly isn't! I do believe people do this and it IS perfectly valid. I guess my stance should be - to each his own. I prefer not to go nuts, but if a player or producer thinks that is what is best for the performance, then by all means - do it!

You have to hold to your own value of what is best for art and there can be no fault for that.

hooray for you. really. i didn't intend for this to be a dick-size contest. really. nor was i implying anything. i've been playing drums for 20+ years myself, and i too have command of a number of other instruments including piano, guitar, bass and vocals. i too can sight-read. BFD. hooray for me. whoopee. yay. *rolls eyes*

it seems to me that you need to re-read my original post (and Farview's, too, it seems) . but let me save you the effort and recap:

i said that drum shells have one frequency that they *prefer* to vibrate at. you will get the best tone by tuning your drum to that frequency.

i said that *one* manufacturer has been known to make drums to specific pitches and match the shells so that the set works as a whole. hooray for them.

i said that predominantly JAZZ guys in BYGONE DAYS have been (and were) known to retune their toms to match the key of the song. did i say "rock guys"? nope. did i say "modern drummers"? nope. did i say "modern producers or productions"? again, nope. and in most of those jazz instances, we're talking 1, maybe 2 toms. much easier to do than, say, on Bozzio's kit from the Zappa days.

now that we've done our cliffs notes recap.....

.....the fact remains that most rock guys these days can NOT tune their drums. the weckls and phillips's of the world certainly can--those guys are top flight, world class drummers. i'd LOVE to get to work with one of them sometime--it would be an honor, and you should be thrilled that you have that opportunity--you're a lucky guy. I got the opportunity to work with Carter Beauford back in the early/mid 90s (from 92-96) and i treasure those times--that guy is an amazing drummer. and i certainly miss those days.

i'd still wager that if you were to give the majority of today's drummers (in bands that you hear on modern pop/rock radio) a drum key, a set of heads and un-headed shells and tell em to get em in tune and working as a unit, that you'll end up with a clusterfuck. this is why they have drum techs that they pay to take care of this FOR them.

maybe the weckls and phillips's of the world don't tune their toms to specific pitches--let alone inbetween songs to match the key of the song. again, i wasn't talking about THOSE guys. last i checked, neither of them were contemporaries of Coltrane or Parker or Davis (or heaven forbid someone like Artie Shaw or Bennie Goodman)--which is the era I was referring to. as you pointed out, though, the weckls and phillips's, DO, however, tune their drums to specific intervals.

Phil, as someone who can sight-read, you should have a firm grasp on the basic and simple fact that basic music theory DICTATES that an "interval" IMPLIES specific pitches. maybe not A-440 (or A-220 or A-880) or any other common, named tonal pitch found in western music, but you HAVE to have a certain and FIXED number of cycles (in Hz) between pitches in order for there to be an interval (of course, depending where you are in the scale will determine the length of that interval). Therefore, regardless of the actual NOTE that the drum is tuned to, there HAS to be a note implied in order for there to be an interval between the drums. Maybe that "note" is 3 cents up from C#4 and doesn't have an actual *name* in western music. that does not however, mean that it is not a note.

so in short (and this is waaaay too long already), YES, while maybe Weckl or Phillips don't set out to tune their drums to specific notes......the drums DO end up there. that's my point--contrary to what some people believe, drums are indeed pitch driven instruments.....and in order to work optimally as a whole, they should be tuned in intervals. whether you do this by ear, or whether you match them to a keyboard does not matter--the end result is still the same.

cheers, thank you, and good night. :D

wade

neil peart wrote an article in modern drummer several years ago about tom tuning. he said he did not believe in tuning to notes, and never conciously set out to tune his drums in that way, but his piano player friend figured out what the basic pitches of his toms were and they indeed formed a chord.

Back