Stop Button on TEAC A-3440 loose

Muka

The Stop button on my Teac A-3440 is very loose but it does stop the tape when depressed. I would like to fix this but not sure how to go about doing this. Can someone give me some direction how to remove the cover to get to the switch from inside so I can inspect and try to fix? I'm not sure if I need a new switch or if I can repair the current switch. The two red arrows shows when I press the button it moves from side to side and also top to bottom. Thanks for any help. The button looks normal in the picture but in real view it is very loose.

Button.png

I can't remember if the transport is accessible through the rear, but I think the cover is very easy to remove on that unit.
Is the top and back all one piece? There should be 8 screws you can take out to remove that dark metal panel and have a look.

If you're inexperienced I'd have someone else do it.
Don't touch anything you don't understand, and make sure it's powered off and unplugged before doing anything. :)

Yes, the top and partial back cover is one piece. The back is split into 2 pieces. Actually I have the top half off the machine currently which I had to remove to replace the belt from the back but I cannot get access to the transport buttons from this opening, reason why I am curious if I have to remove the front plate where the buttons are or do I remove the second half of the back piece. Don't want to remove any unnecessary parts. Thanks again for your response.

Honestly, I can't remember. My memory completely sucks.
It's only about a year ago that I had one of these in bits on the bench, but I'm sure one of the regular analog guys will help you out. :)

Thanks for the info.
Page 10 of the Service manual shows Exploded View 5 but I do not see the Play/Record/FF/RW/Stop/Pause buttons. Am I looking at the wrong document? I also looked at the other documents but I still cannot find a view that shows what to remove to get the these buttons. Sorry if I am not understanding.

Button.png

The buttons are parts 7 through 11 and it would appear that just removing the panel, (part # 5), would get you access to them.

I would suspect that part #12 is the suspect piece though that might need replacement, which is a guide plate for the buttons to not wobble around so much.

See it now?

Cheers! :)

OK thanks I see it now.
I removed item 1 and 2x M4 screws (both sides) but the plate (item 5) still does not come off. I am wondering if I have to remove items 3 and 4 (Green and Red LEDs) to get the plate out (item 5). If I have to remove the LED's do I need special tool to remove them? Also in the Part List it says that item 12 is not used. Maybe I have to replace item 6?

Button.png

Last edited:
I don't believe the LEDs are holding that plate back from being removed. More then likely there's just some gunk/(spilled dry coca cola) or rust holding it in place. You might need to remove the side wood panels to give you a safe spot on the edges where you can gently pry them apart.

Apologies about mentioning part #12.

6 Should be the offending piece, most likely.

Good luck!

Cheers! :)

Update!
I tried to pry the cover open after removing the two screws shown above and also the 2 side wood panels but it does not want to come off. I'm afraid that if I exert too much force I will damage the cover. Let's home someone has more info on how to access these buttons.

Thanks.

Back