Stoner Rock band, or kind of.

CMolena

Hey guys.

I recorded this band a while ago (I'm in a group of people that record and publish material for local bands) with 4 mics, so we were very limited.

I mic'ed up the drums with one condenser mic, about two feet away from the snare, pointing at it. The drummer hits the cymbals very hard, so it took over most of the space, but it gave a cool effect to the drums, as I compressed it a little bit in mixing. Its sounds definately lo-fi. It wasnt meant to, but I liked the result. And so the band.

Guitar and bass with SM57. Vox we picked the signal from the output of the mixer, so we had them vox from all the band members.

here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwjikEjQFXE

I would like to receive feedback from you guys! Thanks in advance.

nice job. whose space is that? yours? did the band choose the "one mic" option for the drums?

No, man. My audio interface has only 4 inputs, so that is the only way to go when tracking a live band like them. The space is a rehearsal studio from downtown. They dont have any recording equipment, is mainly a rehearsal space. I havent got any studio, just my interface and a pair of speaker and headphones and thats how I record and mix.

I understand you are in Brazil, but a Tascam 16X08 doesn't cost much coin. If you can find a Tascam 1800, probably even cheaper.

I understand you are in Brazil, but a Tascam 16X08 doesn't cost much coin. If you can find a Tascam 1800, probably even cheaper.

I like recording with few inputs and I'm saving money to buy one that has more inputs. But that wont make me stop trying to do stuff, especially when there are people that has more equipment but dont do shit about the scene they live in.

That's your best 4 mic recording yet. Sounds awesome, like some early SST era punk albums.

I like recording with few inputs and I'm saving money to buy one that has more inputs. But that wont make me stop trying to do stuff, especially when there are people that has more equipment but dont do shit about the scene they live in.

I can respect that. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.

I understand you are working with limited inputs. It's too much cymbals and not enough kick and snare for me. Guitar and vocals sound good. Bass is more of a rumble than an articulate sound. They're a pretty good trio.

Good job with only 4 mics. Apart from parallel compressing the drum mic your mixing options are pretty limited but the recording is well balanced and suits the style of music. I like the rumbly bass

The initial riffing & guitar tone reminds me of early Budgie.
Bit fast for stoner.
The variations to the riff around the chorus reminds me of Radio Birdman.
A good capture given the restrictions.

Back