Still can't decide, record at 32 or 16 bit?

psongman

H'lo. Well, I've been recording session after session the past month and have come to some decisions that need to be made. I was using Adobe Audition 2.0 for the first few songs, but it just used to much of my computer's resources. Then, I switched over to Reaper, which used way less cpu. Now, though, I am only able to get about 10 tracks with some effects, before it starts to sputter, too,

Now, I have a Pentium III, 1ghz, with 512mb ram, and a decent 7200 rpm 40 sum gig hard drive. I have been recording all at 32 bit though and editing in Audition. I think I should go back to 16 bit recording, as I believe I used to get quite a few tracks in the old Cool Edit Pro.

So, please, explain to me simply the difference in recording at 32 or 16 bit, and if it is really worth it or since my computer is a bit slow, would 16 bit be a lot less intensive. I know there are some posts to Google, but I am just too tired and actually I am finding out the good threads get squashed down and out, heeh! Well, help me make up my mind, and I will comply to what those who have passage through this same dilemma have to say, giving thanks, psongman

P.S. I have a M-audionphile 2496 sound card and a midsize Behringer mixer.

I would say forget 32-bit. Use reaper and record in 24-bit.

If your computer can't keep up, then bounce some of the tracks that have FX on them.

1GHz is not a very good CPU for recording. Mine's not much better than that but I still get by in 24-bit. I have to bounce tracks a lot, and it's a pain, but it's part of the process.

You are not recording in 32 bit because there are no 32 bit converters. Your software is just adding zero's so you can process in 32 bit word length's. I'd suggest you get more processing power and an additional hard drive dedicated to just recording and not necessarily in that order.

processing at 32 bit is not adding zeros. 32 bit implies floating point.

recommendation...

track at the highest word length available e.g. 24, 20, 16

process at 32 bit floating point

Agreed..you're not recording at 32 bit. Maybe you're software is telling you it's processing at 32 bit, but your soundcard is converting at 24 bit.

The primary advantage of recording at 24 bit is that you've got more dynamic range, so you can record at lower levels without having to worry so much about the noise floor and you've got more headroom.
Good enough for me.

Thanks for all the informative answers. I don't really know what you are talking about with the 24 bit thingie, as all my software settings are 32 bit. I know some of it is floating point, but I checked it out, says 32 bit on every file I diagnose.

I think 16 bit is fine, as I am making some nice demos but until I get a faster computer that will have to suffice. I can tell you I used to get like 18 tracks at 16 bit in Cool Edit Pro with an SB Live digital sound card. I think, that Adobe Audition, for example, uses way too many resources. Wish I could check out what might be causing the minor bottleneck, but I believe I need to reseat my sound card in a different PCI slot as I had this small stuttering right from the beginning, but adjusted accordingly. Oh, using those sends an auxes on mixes uses up the most, never used them before but am going back to just processing each track. Keep up the redirecting, psongman

Unfortunatley, audition doesn't give you the option to record in 24 bit. It lets you do it in 16 or 32.

Back