Stick it to the man! - rough mix

Hi

Please have a listen to our latest track and let me know any comments
on the mix/song. The help here is always invaluable!

This is a kind of funky/dubby/reggae'y (is that a word?) track called "Stick it to the man":-

We are called Mizi, we write mellow funky tunes. Music you can sit and
listen to, but at the same time music you can get up and dance to.

Hope you like it!

Dave
(http://soundclick.com/mizi)

The first that cought me was snare sound, good echo on it, very "real".. nice bass, really nice female vocal. Also liked the reverb-piano sound, and really nice mix.

The song, and genre, not me, wayyyy too easy-listening type for a metalhead. ...But I'm listening for the second time allready..

REALLY like the instance whe the piano comes in, to a changing rhythm.. and the singing voice is bloody seductive!.. ..I wouldn't mind at all if this became a radio hit... I could definetly survive this coming out two-three times a day.

..the bass/drums make a good solid rhythm, maybe a tad more bottom to kick? ...just to critic something.. :o

Sounds good to me. Very well played and recorded. Honestly, I'm not too crazy about the song or this style of music, but everything was done well.

I like the sound of the bass. Drums sound pretty good too. Vocals are also good.

Doesn't sound like a home recording.

danny.guitar said:
Doesn't sound like a home recording.
You hit the nail on the head.

Really well tracked; studio recording would be my guess. The converters are high end.

Not my cup of tea either, but I do like her voice.

Edit: I had to turn down my media player to around 45%. The song is a bit harsh at loud volume...

Glad you all like the sound, it's not a studio recording, it was done in my spare bedroom in fact.

Vocals: AT4040 -> M-Audio DMP3 -> DIGI 002R
Bass: Musicman Bongo -> DI M-Audio DMP3 -> DIGI 002R
Drums: Roland TD-8 -> Midi -> Toontrack DFHS
Piano: Reason 3

Mixed in Protools, in the box, mastered with Ozone on the master fader. Maybe it is a tad loud, I can knock it down a bit.

Dave

daveparker said:
Glad you all like the sound, it's not a studio recording, it was done in my spare bedroom in fact.

Vocals: AT4040 -> M-Audio DMP3 -> DIGI 002R
Bass: Musicman Bongo -> DI M-Audio DMP3 -> DIGI 002R
Drums: Roland TD-8 -> Midi -> Toontrack DFHS
Piano: Reason 3

Mixed in Protools, in the box, mastered with Ozone on the master fader. Maybe it is a tad loud, I can knock it down a bit.

Dave
Dave,
I think it might have a bit too much high or middle high freq instruments in the mix that is making it harsh, not the volume. Perhaps throw in some guitar parts to fill it in, and the fuller sound will take out the harshness.

Back