Stick Grip...

How should my posture be when practicing rudiments? Arms down, elbows bent at a 90° angle, practice pad slightly lower?

I'd say you pretty much just said it :cool:. One thing that I see a lot of drummers getting wrong is that they don't hit their drums with a level stick, that is, they hit their heads at an angle. The stick should be as flat as possible when hitting the drum, the shaft of your stick missing the rim by millimeters. The reason for this is to facilitate rebound. And be sure to hold that V formation with your sticks at all times. Unless you're as tall as Shaq, I highly recommend setting up your kit to play as lowly as possible, this will let you adjust your throne to the kit and give you the ideal height and posture.

Thats normal. Embrace the ups and downs. They are all part of the road.

Remember please...pain is a not a good thing in drumming....if it herts take a break.

It's weird watching you two be civil to each other.
I'm not at all comfortable with it!

Everything I've taught myself is techically incorrect, and in my quest to improve my chops, I've come to realize that my grip and posture are hindering the process.

Is there a technically correct way I should be gripping the sticks? More specifically, and more difficult to explain without a visual, when playing, should the back of my hand be horizontal or vertical? IOW, should my thumb be the force behind the hit, or the whole hand?

...or is it a matter of taste?

How your hands are is a big deal. Go find a rreally good drum teacher who can fly and get a lesson. Get him to work with you and assign you some rudiments. This stuff is too important to go to a bbs with.

Back